Mar 8, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
Yesterday, we passed along news that Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp would likely miss 2-3 weeks with an upper-body injury.
Today, the injury picture came more into focus — and it’s not good news for the ‘Hawks.
Sharp suffered a “fairly severe AC joint shoulder separation,” according to TSN’s James Duthie. It’s an injury that could sideline the 2011 All-Star for an entire month.
UPDATE: The Blackhawks have announced that Sharp will miss 3-4 weeks and that the injury won’t require surgery.
Sharp left the game immediately and didn’t return.
Following the contest, ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville told reporters Sharp was expected to miss some time, but said the injury wasn’t season-threatening.
A three-time 30-goal scorer, Sharp has been a big part of Chicago’s remarkable 21-0-3 start to the season. He’s tied for third on the team in scoring, with 18 points, and is second among all skaters with 13 assists.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)