Feb 19, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
That situation might start clearing up soon. Blues’ play-by-play guy Chris Kerber reports that Brian Elliott will back up Allen against the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday while Jaroslav Halak will return as the starter in Wednesday’s match against the Avalanche in Colorado.
Allen, 22, brings a three-game winning streak (and a highlight reel save) into today’s contest vs. San Jose, which will start at 8 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network.
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock might face a tough choice or two if Allen wins yet again. It’s unusual for a team to carry three healthy goalies at the same time, so Allen would face tough competition in the team’s starter in Halak and Elliott, who was an All-Star last season.
Overall, it’s likely a good problem to have, although Blues hope to see their goals allowed (3.13 per game, 23rd overall in the NHL) improve regardless.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 18
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)