Feb 19, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
That situation might start clearing up soon. Blues’ play-by-play guy Chris Kerber reports that Brian Elliott will back up Allen against the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday while Jaroslav Halak will return as the starter in Wednesday’s match against the Avalanche in Colorado.
Allen, 22, brings a three-game winning streak (and a highlight reel save) into today’s contest vs. San Jose, which will start at 8 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network.
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock might face a tough choice or two if Allen wins yet again. It’s unusual for a team to carry three healthy goalies at the same time, so Allen would face tough competition in the team’s starter in Halak and Elliott, who was an All-Star last season.
Overall, it’s likely a good problem to have, although Blues hope to see their goals allowed (3.13 per game, 23rd overall in the NHL) improve regardless.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)