Feb 19, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
That situation might start clearing up soon. Blues’ play-by-play guy Chris Kerber reports that Brian Elliott will back up Allen against the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday while Jaroslav Halak will return as the starter in Wednesday’s match against the Avalanche in Colorado.
Allen, 22, brings a three-game winning streak (and a highlight reel save) into today’s contest vs. San Jose, which will start at 8 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network.
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock might face a tough choice or two if Allen wins yet again. It’s unusual for a team to carry three healthy goalies at the same time, so Allen would face tough competition in the team’s starter in Halak and Elliott, who was an All-Star last season.
Overall, it’s likely a good problem to have, although Blues hope to see their goals allowed (3.13 per game, 23rd overall in the NHL) improve regardless.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)