Feb 19, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
That situation might start clearing up soon. Blues’ play-by-play guy Chris Kerber reports that Brian Elliott will back up Allen against the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday while Jaroslav Halak will return as the starter in Wednesday’s match against the Avalanche in Colorado.
Allen, 22, brings a three-game winning streak (and a highlight reel save) into today’s contest vs. San Jose, which will start at 8 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network.
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock might face a tough choice or two if Allen wins yet again. It’s unusual for a team to carry three healthy goalies at the same time, so Allen would face tough competition in the team’s starter in Halak and Elliott, who was an All-Star last season.
Overall, it’s likely a good problem to have, although Blues hope to see their goals allowed (3.13 per game, 23rd overall in the NHL) improve regardless.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)