Feb 19, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
That situation might start clearing up soon. Blues’ play-by-play guy Chris Kerber reports that Brian Elliott will back up Allen against the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday while Jaroslav Halak will return as the starter in Wednesday’s match against the Avalanche in Colorado.
Allen, 22, brings a three-game winning streak (and a highlight reel save) into today’s contest vs. San Jose, which will start at 8 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network.
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock might face a tough choice or two if Allen wins yet again. It’s unusual for a team to carry three healthy goalies at the same time, so Allen would face tough competition in the team’s starter in Halak and Elliott, who was an All-Star last season.
Overall, it’s likely a good problem to have, although Blues hope to see their goals allowed (3.13 per game, 23rd overall in the NHL) improve regardless.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 19
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 25
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11