Feb 18, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues earned a 4-3 shootout victory against the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday, but they got some good news before the game even started.
Blues goaltender Jaroslav Halak was warming the bench after spending roughly two weeks on the sidelines with a strained groin. He’ll probably play between the pipes on Tuesday or Wednesday, according to the team’s website.
The St. Louis Blues turned to netminder Brian Elliott due to Halak’s injury, but Elliott went on to post an ugly 4.67 GAA and .810 save percentage in five games.
With the Blues in a free fall because of their goaltending woes, St. Louis benched Elliott in favor of 22-year-old goaltender Jake Allen.
Allen wasn’t stunning, but the Blues won three straight with him in net. He also had his moments as you can see below:
It’s worth adding that Halak has already attempted to return from this injury once before. He was activated off of the injured reserve list on Feb. 10 with the hope that he’d play against the Los Angeles Kings the following day. However, he re-aggravated his groin injury during warmups and was forced to miss another week.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)