Feb 18, 2013, 9:04 AM EST
The St. Louis Blues earned a 4-3 shootout victory against the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday, but they got some good news before the game even started.
Blues goaltender Jaroslav Halak was warming the bench after spending roughly two weeks on the sidelines with a strained groin. He’ll probably play between the pipes on Tuesday or Wednesday, according to the team’s website.
The St. Louis Blues turned to netminder Brian Elliott due to Halak’s injury, but Elliott went on to post an ugly 4.67 GAA and .810 save percentage in five games.
With the Blues in a free fall because of their goaltending woes, St. Louis benched Elliott in favor of 22-year-old goaltender Jake Allen.
Allen wasn’t stunning, but the Blues won three straight with him in net. He also had his moments as you can see below:
It’s worth adding that Halak has already attempted to return from this injury once before. He was activated off of the injured reserve list on Feb. 10 with the hope that he’d play against the Los Angeles Kings the following day. However, he re-aggravated his groin injury during warmups and was forced to miss another week.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)