Feb 18, 2013, 9:04 AM EST
The St. Louis Blues earned a 4-3 shootout victory against the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday, but they got some good news before the game even started.
Blues goaltender Jaroslav Halak was warming the bench after spending roughly two weeks on the sidelines with a strained groin. He’ll probably play between the pipes on Tuesday or Wednesday, according to the team’s website.
The St. Louis Blues turned to netminder Brian Elliott due to Halak’s injury, but Elliott went on to post an ugly 4.67 GAA and .810 save percentage in five games.
With the Blues in a free fall because of their goaltending woes, St. Louis benched Elliott in favor of 22-year-old goaltender Jake Allen.
Allen wasn’t stunning, but the Blues won three straight with him in net. He also had his moments as you can see below:
It’s worth adding that Halak has already attempted to return from this injury once before. He was activated off of the injured reserve list on Feb. 10 with the hope that he’d play against the Los Angeles Kings the following day. However, he re-aggravated his groin injury during warmups and was forced to miss another week.
- NHL on NBCSN: Penguins kick off Rivalry Night vs. Capitals 0
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 50
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)