Feb 15, 2013, 1:57 PM EDT
Sabres president Ted Black was on the hot seat today in a video interview with Buffalo News columnist Bucky Gleason.
The main topic of conversation? That would be general manager Darcy Regier. Specifically, if Regier should still have a job after the Sabres missed the playoffs last year and are off to a 5-8-1 start this year.
Gleason — who’s been particularly critical of Sabres owner Terry Pegula’s loyalty to the current management regime — asked Black about the contract extension Regier received in January, i.e. what had he done to deserve it?
Black admitted that Regier’s efforts aren’t translating on the ice at the moment — “we’re in last place” — but he defended the club’s decision to extend the general manager’s deal.
“The extension that Darcy got is more of an affirmation that we trust the job he’s doing right now,” said Black. “It’s not in perpetuity. It’s not a perpetual contract.
“It’s more of a ‘we want you to continue to work hard at your job without something being a distraction to you, for one, and two to show we have our full faith in you to do your job and go out and do it the best you possibly can.'”
Buffalo hosts Boston tonight and has another tough home game Sunday against Pittsburgh on national TV.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)