Jan 19, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Darcy Regier has been general manager of the Buffalo Sabres since 1997 and now he’s going to be sticking around a bit longer.
Sabres owner Terry Pegula announced they’ve signed Regier to a contract extension to continue pulling the strings for the franchise. As Bill Hoppe of the Olean Times Herald reports, the GM is happy to keep on keepin’ on.
“I am very grateful and honored to be able to continue in this capacity working with this ownership,” Regier said inside the Lexus Club at the First Niagara Center. ” … I think the beautiful thing about this organization is we continue to grow, continue to improve.”
If the Sabres improve this season, that would put them back in the postseason. With rookie Mikhail Grigorenko starting the year with the team, and looking like he’ll play tomorrow against Philadelphia, they’re hopeful that injection of offensive talent can help them get there.
Still, it’s crazy to think Regier’s been in charge for this long when other teams chew up and spit out GMs like it’s nothing. He’s nothing if not consistent with what the organization wants.
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)