Jan 19, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Darcy Regier has been general manager of the Buffalo Sabres since 1997 and now he’s going to be sticking around a bit longer.
Sabres owner Terry Pegula announced they’ve signed Regier to a contract extension to continue pulling the strings for the franchise. As Bill Hoppe of the Olean Times Herald reports, the GM is happy to keep on keepin’ on.
“I am very grateful and honored to be able to continue in this capacity working with this ownership,” Regier said inside the Lexus Club at the First Niagara Center. ” … I think the beautiful thing about this organization is we continue to grow, continue to improve.”
If the Sabres improve this season, that would put them back in the postseason. With rookie Mikhail Grigorenko starting the year with the team, and looking like he’ll play tomorrow against Philadelphia, they’re hopeful that injection of offensive talent can help them get there.
Still, it’s crazy to think Regier’s been in charge for this long when other teams chew up and spit out GMs like it’s nothing. He’s nothing if not consistent with what the organization wants.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)