Jan 18, 2013, 2:39 PM EST
After wowing teammates and impressive head coach Lindy Ruff, Mikhail Grigorenko was informed on Friday he made the Buffalo Sabres roster to start the season.
“I’m real happy that I’m on an NHL team now,” Grigorenko told the Buffalo News. “I’m really excited and hopefully and I’m going to be playing.”
The official party line is the 18-year-old Russian is a “coach’s decision” to play on Sunday when the Sabres open their regular season campaign against Philadelphia. But it sounds though Grigorenko is almost certainly in.
More, from the Buffalo News:
Regier would only commit to Grigorenko being on the roster, saying it was a “coach’s decision” if he would play. But there were plenty of smirks in the room with Lindy Ruff standing nearby.
“I think we should keep him around little longer and then the coach will have to decide if he’s going to play him a lot,” Regier said.
Ruff said he’s been pleased with what he’s seen in training camp.
“Good playmaker,” Ruff said of Grigorenko. “He defends well for a young player. He’s defending against his teammates. You’d love the opportunity to see him in an NHL game against other players but he does have awareness. He understands the game.”
Leino has raved about Grigorenko, going so far as to compare him to his former Detroit teammate, Pavel Datsyuk.
“He would be awful tough to compare with Datsyuk because he’s one of the best players, that I would say, ever played,” Leino said. “But he’s definitely got some of that playmaking ability.”
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 0
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)