Feb 14, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
On Sunday, NBC will celebrate Hockey Day in America with a smorgasbord of NHL action.
First, the Pittsburgh Penguins will do battle with the Buffalo Sabres at 12:30 p.m. ET (NBC), followed by the defending Stanley Cup champion LA Kings in an opening-day rematch against the Chicago Blackhawks (3:30 p.m. ET, NBC).
The day will feature two teams going in totally different directions — the Sabres and Blackhawks.
Buffalo is off to another disastrous start, one that could see them miss the playoffs for the second straight season, while Chicago is on fire and atop the NHL standings — and still without a loss in regulation.
Brough and I discussed those two clubs with NBC’s Kay Adams in the latest installment of PHT Extra, as we geared up for what promises to be a great Sunday of hockey.
Enjoy:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Oh, and just so you know, NBC’s coverage isn’t done after Pens-Sabres and Kings-‘Hawks. Later Sunday evening (6 p.m. ET), NBC Sports Network will air the Capitals-Rangers game, making for nine hours of hockey coverage across the networks.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)