Feb 13, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
In the latest bit of bad news for the struggling Avalanche, defenseman Erik Johnson is out indefinitely with a head injury.
Per the Denver Post, Colorado coach Joe Sacco said today after practice that Johnson will not travel with the team as it leaves on a two-game trip to Minnesota (Thursday) and Edmonton (Saturday).
The 24-year-old has one assist in 11 games for the Avalanche so far this season but had consistently been playing more than 20 minutes a game, falling short of that mark only twice (and Monday was once).
The news couldn’t have really come at a worse time. Colorado (4-6-1) has lost three in a row and is still without injured captain Gabriel Landeskog (head) and star forward Ryan O’Reilly, the latter of whom is mired in a contract dispute with the club that could result in a trade.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (118)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)