Feb 13, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
In the latest bit of bad news for the struggling Avalanche, defenseman Erik Johnson is out indefinitely with a head injury.
Per the Denver Post, Colorado coach Joe Sacco said today after practice that Johnson will not travel with the team as it leaves on a two-game trip to Minnesota (Thursday) and Edmonton (Saturday).
The 24-year-old has one assist in 11 games for the Avalanche so far this season but had consistently been playing more than 20 minutes a game, falling short of that mark only twice (and Monday was once).
The news couldn’t have really come at a worse time. Colorado (4-6-1) has lost three in a row and is still without injured captain Gabriel Landeskog (head) and star forward Ryan O’Reilly, the latter of whom is mired in a contract dispute with the club that could result in a trade.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 35
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 98
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (98)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)