Feb 12, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
With contract negotiations between Ryan O’Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche going nowhere, teams might want to land the promising center’s rights. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the Avalanche are currently asking for a roster player and a top prospect to get that done.
The Avalanche are struggling in his absence, managing a 4-6-1 record for nine points in 11 games, ranking them last overall in the West.
It’s tough to say what would be an appropriate value for O’Reilly. He topped all Colorado scorers last season with 55 points, but managed just 26 in each of his first two seasons.
O’Reilly’s representatives would argue that was a breakthrough year that matched appropriate ice time (a big jump to 19:32 minutes per game) while the Avs would probably counter that he needs to prove that he can produce like that consistently.
It doesn’t appear that Jamie Benn‘s five-year, $26.25 million deal helped set a market for the two sides. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater believes that O’Reilly won’t play another game with Colorado, so a trade could indeed be plausible.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)