Feb 12, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
With contract negotiations between Ryan O’Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche going nowhere, teams might want to land the promising center’s rights. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the Avalanche are currently asking for a roster player and a top prospect to get that done.
The Avalanche are struggling in his absence, managing a 4-6-1 record for nine points in 11 games, ranking them last overall in the West.
It’s tough to say what would be an appropriate value for O’Reilly. He topped all Colorado scorers last season with 55 points, but managed just 26 in each of his first two seasons.
O’Reilly’s representatives would argue that was a breakthrough year that matched appropriate ice time (a big jump to 19:32 minutes per game) while the Avs would probably counter that he needs to prove that he can produce like that consistently.
It doesn’t appear that Jamie Benn‘s five-year, $26.25 million deal helped set a market for the two sides. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater believes that O’Reilly won’t play another game with Colorado, so a trade could indeed be plausible.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)