Feb 12, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
With contract negotiations between Ryan O’Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche going nowhere, teams might want to land the promising center’s rights. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the Avalanche are currently asking for a roster player and a top prospect to get that done.
The Avalanche are struggling in his absence, managing a 4-6-1 record for nine points in 11 games, ranking them last overall in the West.
It’s tough to say what would be an appropriate value for O’Reilly. He topped all Colorado scorers last season with 55 points, but managed just 26 in each of his first two seasons.
O’Reilly’s representatives would argue that was a breakthrough year that matched appropriate ice time (a big jump to 19:32 minutes per game) while the Avs would probably counter that he needs to prove that he can produce like that consistently.
It doesn’t appear that Jamie Benn‘s five-year, $26.25 million deal helped set a market for the two sides. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater believes that O’Reilly won’t play another game with Colorado, so a trade could indeed be plausible.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)