Feb 12, 2013, 1:04 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer left Monday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers due to injury, although the initial assessment from the coach may provide reason for optimism.
“Reimer has a lower body injury and we don’t think it’s that serious at this point,” head coach Randy Carlyle told the Toronto Star.
“He shouldn’t miss any extended period of time. But it won’t be a long, drawn-out process, based on our assessment.”
Despite leaving the game, Reimer was still credited with the win. Toronto took control of the game after the first period, scoring three times in the second and rolling to a 5-2 win.
Don’t look now, but the Leafs have won six of their last eight games.
Ben Scrivens took over for Reimer early in the second period, stopping 32 of the 33 shots he faced.
“It is always tougher coming in cold,” Scrivens said to NHL.com.
“That is the nature of the position, as a backup, that is what you gotta be ready for.”
The Leafs were also without defenseman Korbinian Holzer for the latter half of the second period and the third.
He was given a boarding major and game misconduct after hitting Flyers forward Tye McGinn from behind into the end boards.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 14
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 68
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks