Feb 12, 2013, 1:04 AM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer left Monday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers due to injury, although the initial assessment from the coach may provide reason for optimism.
“Reimer has a lower body injury and we don’t think it’s that serious at this point,” head coach Randy Carlyle told the Toronto Star.
“He shouldn’t miss any extended period of time. But it won’t be a long, drawn-out process, based on our assessment.”
Despite leaving the game, Reimer was still credited with the win. Toronto took control of the game after the first period, scoring three times in the second and rolling to a 5-2 win.
Don’t look now, but the Leafs have won six of their last eight games.
Ben Scrivens took over for Reimer early in the second period, stopping 32 of the 33 shots he faced.
“It is always tougher coming in cold,” Scrivens said to NHL.com.
“That is the nature of the position, as a backup, that is what you gotta be ready for.”
The Leafs were also without defenseman Korbinian Holzer for the latter half of the second period and the third.
He was given a boarding major and game misconduct after hitting Flyers forward Tye McGinn from behind into the end boards.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)