Feb 12, 2013, 1:04 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer left Monday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers due to injury, although the initial assessment from the coach may provide reason for optimism.
“Reimer has a lower body injury and we don’t think it’s that serious at this point,” head coach Randy Carlyle told the Toronto Star.
“He shouldn’t miss any extended period of time. But it won’t be a long, drawn-out process, based on our assessment.”
Despite leaving the game, Reimer was still credited with the win. Toronto took control of the game after the first period, scoring three times in the second and rolling to a 5-2 win.
Don’t look now, but the Leafs have won six of their last eight games.
Ben Scrivens took over for Reimer early in the second period, stopping 32 of the 33 shots he faced.
“It is always tougher coming in cold,” Scrivens said to NHL.com.
“That is the nature of the position, as a backup, that is what you gotta be ready for.”
The Leafs were also without defenseman Korbinian Holzer for the latter half of the second period and the third.
He was given a boarding major and game misconduct after hitting Flyers forward Tye McGinn from behind into the end boards.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 4
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)