Feb 11, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT
Some troubling news for Toronto as starting netminder James Reimer left Monday’s game against Philly with what appeared to be a left leg injury.
The injury occurred early in the second period with the Leafs leading 3-1 and with Reimer looking especially sharp, having stopped 12 of 13 shots to that point.
It’s unclear exactly what happened on the play.
The sequence leading up to Reimer leaving seemed innocuous. There was a brief scramble in front of his goal, and he may have been hurt sliding from post to post. Reimer stayed down for a few moments following the whistle, and had to be helped off the ice.
He was replaced by backup Ben Scrivens.
If the injury is serious, it could be disastrous for Toronto. Reimer has been the goalie of record in eight of 12 games this year and has posted stellar numbers across the board: 5-3-0, 2.30 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage.
On Saturday, Reimer recorded his first shutout of the season by stopped all 37 shots in a 6-0 win over Montreal.
Injuries, of course, are nothing new for the 24-year-old ‘tender. Reimer’s 2011-12 season was cut short after suffering a concussion — he ended up only appearing in 34 games and was shut down for the year in late March.
No word yet on whether he’ll return to tonight’s game.
The Leafs have officially announced that Reimer won’t come back to the contest.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 39
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 70
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 9
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 24
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 32
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 65
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 35
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)