Feb 11, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT
Some troubling news for Toronto as starting netminder James Reimer left Monday’s game against Philly with what appeared to be a left leg injury.
The injury occurred early in the second period with the Leafs leading 3-1 and with Reimer looking especially sharp, having stopped 12 of 13 shots to that point.
It’s unclear exactly what happened on the play.
The sequence leading up to Reimer leaving seemed innocuous. There was a brief scramble in front of his goal, and he may have been hurt sliding from post to post. Reimer stayed down for a few moments following the whistle, and had to be helped off the ice.
He was replaced by backup Ben Scrivens.
If the injury is serious, it could be disastrous for Toronto. Reimer has been the goalie of record in eight of 12 games this year and has posted stellar numbers across the board: 5-3-0, 2.30 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage.
On Saturday, Reimer recorded his first shutout of the season by stopped all 37 shots in a 6-0 win over Montreal.
Injuries, of course, are nothing new for the 24-year-old ‘tender. Reimer’s 2011-12 season was cut short after suffering a concussion — he ended up only appearing in 34 games and was shut down for the year in late March.
No word yet on whether he’ll return to tonight’s game.
The Leafs have officially announced that Reimer won’t come back to the contest.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)