Feb 11, 2013, 8:27 PM EST
Some troubling news for Toronto as starting netminder James Reimer left Monday’s game against Philly with what appeared to be a left leg injury.
The injury occurred early in the second period with the Leafs leading 3-1 and with Reimer looking especially sharp, having stopped 12 of 13 shots to that point.
It’s unclear exactly what happened on the play.
The sequence leading up to Reimer leaving seemed innocuous. There was a brief scramble in front of his goal, and he may have been hurt sliding from post to post. Reimer stayed down for a few moments following the whistle, and had to be helped off the ice.
He was replaced by backup Ben Scrivens.
If the injury is serious, it could be disastrous for Toronto. Reimer has been the goalie of record in eight of 12 games this year and has posted stellar numbers across the board: 5-3-0, 2.30 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage.
On Saturday, Reimer recorded his first shutout of the season by stopped all 37 shots in a 6-0 win over Montreal.
Injuries, of course, are nothing new for the 24-year-old ‘tender. Reimer’s 2011-12 season was cut short after suffering a concussion — he ended up only appearing in 34 games and was shut down for the year in late March.
No word yet on whether he’ll return to tonight’s game.
The Leafs have officially announced that Reimer won’t come back to the contest.
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 0
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)