Feb 11, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT
Some troubling news for Toronto as starting netminder James Reimer left Monday’s game against Philly with what appeared to be a left leg injury.
The injury occurred early in the second period with the Leafs leading 3-1 and with Reimer looking especially sharp, having stopped 12 of 13 shots to that point.
It’s unclear exactly what happened on the play.
The sequence leading up to Reimer leaving seemed innocuous. There was a brief scramble in front of his goal, and he may have been hurt sliding from post to post. Reimer stayed down for a few moments following the whistle, and had to be helped off the ice.
He was replaced by backup Ben Scrivens.
If the injury is serious, it could be disastrous for Toronto. Reimer has been the goalie of record in eight of 12 games this year and has posted stellar numbers across the board: 5-3-0, 2.30 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage.
On Saturday, Reimer recorded his first shutout of the season by stopped all 37 shots in a 6-0 win over Montreal.
Injuries, of course, are nothing new for the 24-year-old ‘tender. Reimer’s 2011-12 season was cut short after suffering a concussion — he ended up only appearing in 34 games and was shut down for the year in late March.
No word yet on whether he’ll return to tonight’s game.
The Leafs have officially announced that Reimer won’t come back to the contest.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)