Feb 11, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT
Some troubling news for Toronto as starting netminder James Reimer left Monday’s game against Philly with what appeared to be a left leg injury.
The injury occurred early in the second period with the Leafs leading 3-1 and with Reimer looking especially sharp, having stopped 12 of 13 shots to that point.
It’s unclear exactly what happened on the play.
The sequence leading up to Reimer leaving seemed innocuous. There was a brief scramble in front of his goal, and he may have been hurt sliding from post to post. Reimer stayed down for a few moments following the whistle, and had to be helped off the ice.
He was replaced by backup Ben Scrivens.
If the injury is serious, it could be disastrous for Toronto. Reimer has been the goalie of record in eight of 12 games this year and has posted stellar numbers across the board: 5-3-0, 2.30 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage.
On Saturday, Reimer recorded his first shutout of the season by stopped all 37 shots in a 6-0 win over Montreal.
Injuries, of course, are nothing new for the 24-year-old ‘tender. Reimer’s 2011-12 season was cut short after suffering a concussion — he ended up only appearing in 34 games and was shut down for the year in late March.
No word yet on whether he’ll return to tonight’s game.
The Leafs have officially announced that Reimer won’t come back to the contest.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)