Feb 4, 2013, 10:10 AM EDT
Assuming Roberto Luongo is even still on the trade market, teams are getting plenty of chances to scout him this season.
Luongo will start in his fourth consecutive game with the Vancouver Canucks on Monday when they take on the Edmonton Oilers, according to NHL.com writer Dan Rosen. The 33-year-old all-star goaltender has allowed just five goals in his previous three contests.
A year or two ago, this wouldn’t have even been news, but the Canucks made a big commitment to goaltender Cory Schneider when they signed him to a three-year, $12 million over the summer. That’s far too much money for a backup, but as it is Schneider hasn’t played since Jan. 27 and reportedly won’t start until Thursday at the very earliest.
Even if this is a goaltending rotation, it’s a very expensive one. Vancouver has committed $9,333,333 in cap space to its goaltender and the cap drops to $64.3 million next season.
Still, because of this season’s condensed schedule, having two top-end netminders could give the Canucks a big edge over the competition.
Meanwhile, there have been rumors that the Washington Capitals are interested in Luongo, especially after Canucks GM Mike Gillis attended the Capitals-Penguins game on Sunday. Gillis also hinted at a potential deal two weeks ago, but that was before Luongo began this string of starts.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)