Jan 22, 2013, 10:46 AM EST
Canucks GM Mike Gillis claims nothing has changed with regards to his plans to trade goalie Roberto Luongo.
Even though Cory Schneider was pulled partway through Vancouver’s season-opener on Saturday after allowing five Anaheim goals, Gillis isn’t going to make a knee-jerk reaction.
So what’s going to happen?
At this point, not even Gillis knows. But he did on Monday give the Vancouver Sun a tasty tidbit for fans and media to speculate about.
“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait,” he said.
One thing Gillis isn’t amenable to is taking on dead salary – “a player who can’t play in our lineup” – in return for Luongo.
“We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy,” he said.
“I’d rather keep the guy we know, who’s a good person.”
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 3
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)