Jan 22, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
Canucks GM Mike Gillis claims nothing has changed with regards to his plans to trade goalie Roberto Luongo.
Even though Cory Schneider was pulled partway through Vancouver’s season-opener on Saturday after allowing five Anaheim goals, Gillis isn’t going to make a knee-jerk reaction.
So what’s going to happen?
At this point, not even Gillis knows. But he did on Monday give the Vancouver Sun a tasty tidbit for fans and media to speculate about.
“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait,” he said.
One thing Gillis isn’t amenable to is taking on dead salary – “a player who can’t play in our lineup” – in return for Luongo.
“We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy,” he said.
“I’d rather keep the guy we know, who’s a good person.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)