Jan 22, 2013, 10:46 AM EST
Canucks GM Mike Gillis claims nothing has changed with regards to his plans to trade goalie Roberto Luongo.
Even though Cory Schneider was pulled partway through Vancouver’s season-opener on Saturday after allowing five Anaheim goals, Gillis isn’t going to make a knee-jerk reaction.
So what’s going to happen?
At this point, not even Gillis knows. But he did on Monday give the Vancouver Sun a tasty tidbit for fans and media to speculate about.
“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait,” he said.
One thing Gillis isn’t amenable to is taking on dead salary – “a player who can’t play in our lineup” – in return for Luongo.
“We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy,” he said.
“I’d rather keep the guy we know, who’s a good person.”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)