Feb 4, 2013, 11:46 AM EDT
Nobody was surprised when the Capitals brushed off this weekend’s Roberto Luongo trade rumors. After all, even if they did have interest, why would they admit it in public?
But there’s brushing off rumors, and then there’s what Caps GM George McPhee told the Globe and Mail about any talks he’s had with the Canucks.
“We have not had one conversation about goaltending,” McPhee said. “And on TV they’re talking about what prospect I’m going to give up. Well, I could never take [Luongo’s] contract.”
Luongo is signed through 2021-22, with a cap hit of $5.3 million. And given the Caps already have a couple of big long-term contracts on the books — Alex Ovechkin is also signed through 2020-21, and Nicklas Backstrom through 2019-20 — McPhee’s inability to add another is understandable (and believable).
So if not Luongo, the obvious follow-up question is, would McPhee be interested in Vancouver’s other goalie?
Last week, Gillis said he hasn’t “been thinking about, thought of, or considered” trading Schneider.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)