Feb 4, 2013, 11:46 AM EDT
Nobody was surprised when the Capitals brushed off this weekend’s Roberto Luongo trade rumors. After all, even if they did have interest, why would they admit it in public?
But there’s brushing off rumors, and then there’s what Caps GM George McPhee told the Globe and Mail about any talks he’s had with the Canucks.
“We have not had one conversation about goaltending,” McPhee said. “And on TV they’re talking about what prospect I’m going to give up. Well, I could never take [Luongo’s] contract.”
Luongo is signed through 2021-22, with a cap hit of $5.3 million. And given the Caps already have a couple of big long-term contracts on the books — Alex Ovechkin is also signed through 2020-21, and Nicklas Backstrom through 2019-20 — McPhee’s inability to add another is understandable (and believable).
So if not Luongo, the obvious follow-up question is, would McPhee be interested in Vancouver’s other goalie?
Last week, Gillis said he hasn’t “been thinking about, thought of, or considered” trading Schneider.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)