Dec 31, 2012, 5:48 PM EST
The NHLPA presented the NHL with its counter-proposal Monday, but Donald Fehr told the Sporting News’ Jesse Spector that there’s “not much to say” just yet.
Gary Bettman explained the next steps to CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
“We made a comprehensive proposal that was (288) pages. They’ve come back with a comprehensive response. We need time to analyze it,” Bettman said. “We’re going to do (review) tonight. The expectation is we’ll contact them tomorrow morning and get together hopefully by midday.”
Bettman also told RDS that the deadline to make a deal is Jan. 11.
As far as getting there is considered, both sides are being skimpy with details, but there are a few bits that have trickled down to media members.
For one thing, the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch reports that nothing has been decided regarding the NHLPA’s disclaimer of interest. At the moment, it remains an option but not a foregone conclusion.
Meanwhile, Sportsnet’s Daren Millard quotes an unnamed league source who said “we still have a ways to go.”
That’s a bit vague, especially with a collapsed timeline in mind.
If “a ways to go” can be settled within this week, one report indicates that it’s possible that a 52-game season could start on Jan. 12.
Still, many observers expect another week (to 11 days) of wheel-spinning, with a more realistic goal of kicking things off on Jan. 19.
Unless there is no season to kick off, of course.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)