Dec 30, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT
Many believe that the NHL and NHLPA will spin their wheels into mid-January to squeeze every drop out of a deal, but the Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless rolls out some significant pluses to getting something done sooner.
Specifically, this idea would result in an abbreviated season beginning on Jan. 12.
Lawless confirmed with an anonymous NHL source that a deal would need to be in place by Thursday to hit the Jan. 12 target date.
That scenario wouldn’t just put more money in play. It would enable a 52-game season, which means a little more hockey – and the opportunity for a streaking sniper to shoot for the 50 goals in 50 games milestone.
Again, much of the conjecture indicates that both sides are willing to see this to the bitter end. If true, this scenario could just make the subterfuge that much more frustrating.
Still, it’s nice to be able to spell out the tangible benefits to getting a deal done this week.
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 0
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 28
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 27
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 47
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 13
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 28
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings