Dec 20, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
Kyle Turris is determined to clear the air.
The Ottawa forward continued his reputation salvation tour on Thursday, speaking with Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes about a controversial article in which Turris bashed his time playing in Finland.
“I read it for the first time and I was extremely upset,” Turris said. “It put a very negative characterization of my experience over there. It was the opposite.
“It was a great experience and I’m very thankful I had the opportunity and it was lots of fun.”
Turris played in 21 games for SM-liiga team Karpat Oulu and, in speaking with the Globe and Mail after returning to Ottawa, ripped the experience, saying…
—- There was nothing to do in Oulu.
—- The travel was “horrendous,” with flights followed by long bus rides and too many stops on the bus rides.
—- The food was “awful” and the team ate at truck stops all the time.
—- Conversing with people was “so awkward. They don’t understand anything that you’re saying, staring at you confused.”
Shortly after the article went to print, Turris started trying to clarify.
First, he issued a statement through the Karpat website, saying the Globe piece “had very inaccurate and untrue information,” and that he felt “terrible that people may now feel that I was not grateful to be a part of the organization.”
Then, the interview with Sportsnet.
It seems Turris’ beef is now primarily with the “mischaracterization” of his time in Finland. While he didn’t like some things, he did like other things, and is upset the Globe piece only focused on the negatives.
“There were places that I didn’t like to eat, but at the same time there were places I loved,” Turris said. “Yeah, it was dark, but that’s the way it is there. But I enjoyed it. You find ways to adapt and that’s what I did.
“At the end of the day it was a great experience and I really enjoyed it.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)