Dec 19, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
Among his protestations:
—- There was nothing to do in Oulun.
—- The travel was “horrendous,” with flights followed by long bus rides and too many stops on the bus rides.
—- The food was “awful” and the team ate at truck stops all the time.
—- Conversing with people was “so awkward. They don’t understand anything that you’re saying, staring at you confused.”
Well, try not to be shocked, but Turris has denied much of what was written in the article via the following statement on the Karpat website:
“I read an article in the Globe and Mail today regarding my experience in Oulu. It made me extremely upset that it was so negative, and that it had very inaccurate and untrue information. I really enjoyed my time in Oulu, and those who are around me know that. I want to make clear that the sole reason I left is because of personal reasons that required me to be home with my family. The entire Oulu organization treated me very well, and I feel terrible that people may now feel that I was not grateful to be a part of the organization. I know that I was very lucky to play for such an awesome organization that welcomed me with open arms and treated us very well. Everyone I met in Finland, the coaches, management, fans and people of Oulu were all very nice and made my time there a memorable one. I was also lucky to have great teammates, with whom I have made good friendships. For all this I am very thankful and wish the Karpat organization great success in the future.”
We said yesterday Turris may have been exaggerating his experience for comedic purposes, but it would be interesting to know what he deemed “very inaccurate and untrue information.” Did the team not eat at truck stops? Was the travel actually very comfortable? Was talking to people a breeze? Because there’s a difference between “very inaccurate and untrue information” and taken out of context or “hey, that was supposed to be off the record.”
The writer of the article, Jordan Winnett, told Puck Daddy the conversation was on the record.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)