About face? Ovechkin says his “soul” is with the Capitals

Dec 3, 2012, 10:53 AM EDT

Alex Ovechkin AP

He’s threatened to stay in the KHL once the lockout is over, but Alex Ovechkin admitted recently that his “soul” is with the Washington Capitals in the NHL, where he hopes one day to win the Stanley Cup.

Ovechkin made the comments in an interview with Russian media outlet vmdaily.ru (translated by the Alex Ovejtkin blog).

The Capitals captain also expressed disappointment with the lack of interest in hockey in Moscow, noting that a recent basketball game between CSKA and Zalgiris was attended by 10,000 fans while a game between CSKA and his Dynamo Moscow side drew 3,000 fewer spectators.

Related: Yakupov would like to see more towel twirling in the KHL

1. bcsteele - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Coming from a person that isn’t a Capitals fan but loves to watch this guy play…

No surprise…big talk with no walk. He’s not going anywhere. The NHL will always trump the other leagues in being the largest league with the biggest following. Which in turn, makes this lockout thing all the more stupid.

2. valoisvipers - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM

But where is your heart OVI.

• stakex - Dec 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Say what you will about Ovechkin, but the one thing the guy does not lack is heart. He might not be a great leader, but he probably has more heart then most everyone else in the NHL.

3. bcjim - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Geez the khl is a joke. 3000?

• islesjb - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:18 AM

It said “3000 fewer”

10,000 – 3,000 = 7,000

4. coreydm80 - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Make up your mind

5. joeyashwi - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Get used to only 3000 fans in the seats at NHL games too pretty soon. The fan base is dwindling.

• mpg44 - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I was just thinking the same thing!!

6. spochiefsfan - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM

what they said ^^^

7. capsfan19 - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:24 AM

And thats where it should be!

8. matt8204 - Dec 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Keep up this crap for much longer and you won’t have any fans in the States, either.

9. wethog66 - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM

OV said back in September that if NHL contracts are slashed that he would consider staying in the KHL past this season. How is him saying his “soul” is with the Caps an about face then?

There is enough BS going on with the NHL right now. No need to fabricate a story like this.

10. ducksk - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Ovi is the Brett Favre of the NHL. I hope ovi never skates in USA again. Ever.

• islesjb - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:46 PM

can’t wait for the Ovi D-pic

jk- I don’t get this analogy at all

• hockeyflow33 - Dec 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I don’t get it

• husky2score - Dec 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM

So your saying that Ovi has retired, then un-retired multiple times, is past his prime, has moved to three different teams and be worthless, and loves jeans.

Mmhmm ya got it absolutely. He is JUST like Brett Favre.

11. congratsyouareanidiot - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM

ducksk,

That’s about the dumbest metaphor I’ve ever read. You are an idiot.

12. lordfletcher - Dec 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I don’t care what anyone says, I would love for OVI to be on my favorite teams squad (with a tweak in his contract $$$). He is very fun to watch and plays hockey the way I wish I was capable of and has plenty of heart!

-Wild Fan

13. ducksk - Dec 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Hey, you’re an idiot. Your the idiot. Idiot. Ovi is a selfish, puckhog, and a me first player. An embarrassment to team leadership and the game. Idiot. Me want me money.

14. id4joey - Dec 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Ovi or Crosby? lol. Amazing that not long ago commenters here selected Ovi when asked the same question. If you picked Ovi, then, is this the type of leader you want?

• husky2score - Dec 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM

GO TO BED!

15. scionofflame - Dec 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Ovechkin is a passionate guy. A lot of players, much like a lot of fans, are in the “GOD, THIS IS STUPID. I HATE THE NHL. I’M NEVER COMING BACK.” camp. The truth is that a lot of us still love the game, and the players do too.

I think Ovechkin will come back as everyone assumes he will. I cut him slack on his frustration, because I’m frustrated as hell too…but I’m still comin’ back.

16. Kristenaux - Dec 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM

You’re hearing frustration…we’re all talking stuff we wouldn’t want to be quoted on right now. I know Ovie will be back and so will everybody else. It’s still just a question of when. Minor league hockey is saving my sanity right now.

17. ducksk - Dec 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM

No, he’s says stupid things, recants them. Changes his mind. Makes sure he stays in the news and it is always about him. F/O
    And I changed mind, I hope he stays in Washington, they’ll never win anything with him. No class, great talent, selfish. Me win scoring title.

• lordfletcher - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I’m sure plenty of people can say the same about you…. just leave out the great talent and scoring title part of that ramble

18. noc4ovi - Dec 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM

This guy should be side by side with crybaby trying to get through the thick skull of the owners. The players have made major concessions. Now Jacobs and his band of hypocrites, led by the head of the Gestapo, Bettman, have to give something to players.

19. valoisvipers - Dec 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Hey noc4ovi heres a repost for you to read.According to Forbes, the Leafs’ 2010–11 operating income of $81.8 million nearly matched the next two most lucrative operations — the Rangers and Canadiens — combined. (And if you’re looking for a staggering figure, the other 27 teams combined for $44.4 million in operating losses.)

20. acieu - Dec 4, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Ovi your hearts in the NHL but your ass is still in the KHL.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches