Nov 23, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
For the second time this week, a veteran NHLer has inked a deal in the American League.
Rod Pelley — who split last season between Anaheim and New Jersey — has signed a professional tryout contract with the Norfolk Admirals, Anaheim’s new AHL affiliate.
Norfolk had previously played under the Tampa Bay Lightning’s organizational umbrella, but began a new affiliation with the Ducks for 2012-13.
Pelley, 28, was traded from New Jersey to Anaheim in mid-December last season. He went on to appear in 45 games for the Ducks, registering 2G-1A-3PTS while averaging eight minutes a game.
A native of British Columbia, Pelley has been skating with various members of the Vancouver Canucks during the lockout and also participated in Bieksa’s Buddies, an exhibition game at the University of British Columbia that raised $200,000 for local charity.
As mentioned above, Pelley — who’s played over 250 NHl games — wasn’t the only veteran NHLer to sign an AHL PTO this week. Defenseman Mike Commodore agreed to terms on Thursday with the Hamilton Bulldogs, an affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)