Oct 18, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Michael Bublé admits he “wimped out” after pulling himself from the line-up of Wednesday’s “Bieksa’s Buddies” charity hockey game in Vancouver, but we suppose we can’t be too hard on the guy – not after he matched the $100,000 the event raised for various good causes with a $100,000 donation of his own.
The sold-out game, organized by Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa and played in front of 5,000 fans, pitted the likes of Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Dan Hamhuis, Manny Malhotra, Max Lapierre and Cory Schneider versus the University of British Columbia men’s hockey team.
“Honestly I wanted to play but I think I wimped out a bit,” said Bublé. “Nerves got the best of me. But I’m glad I didn’t. It was fast, even faster than a lot of the boys actually thought it would be. If this was my only chance to watch NHL hockey this year, I surely didn’t want to mess it up.”
After falling behind 7-3, Bieksa’s team stormed back with five unanswered goals to win the game, 8-7.
After the game, Daniel Sedin was asked if he was more optimistic about the CBA negotiations after the NHL tabled a new offer Tuesday.
“When I first heard about it, I was really positive,” he said. “But we went through it and it wasn’t as positive. But it is a starting point. I just wish the starting point was in April.”
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 0
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 9
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 33
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)