Oct 18, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Michael Bublé admits he “wimped out” after pulling himself from the line-up of Wednesday’s “Bieksa’s Buddies” charity hockey game in Vancouver, but we suppose we can’t be too hard on the guy – not after he matched the $100,000 the event raised for various good causes with a $100,000 donation of his own.
The sold-out game, organized by Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa and played in front of 5,000 fans, pitted the likes of Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Dan Hamhuis, Manny Malhotra, Max Lapierre and Cory Schneider versus the University of British Columbia men’s hockey team.
“Honestly I wanted to play but I think I wimped out a bit,” said Bublé. “Nerves got the best of me. But I’m glad I didn’t. It was fast, even faster than a lot of the boys actually thought it would be. If this was my only chance to watch NHL hockey this year, I surely didn’t want to mess it up.”
After falling behind 7-3, Bieksa’s team stormed back with five unanswered goals to win the game, 8-7.
After the game, Daniel Sedin was asked if he was more optimistic about the CBA negotiations after the NHL tabled a new offer Tuesday.
“When I first heard about it, I was really positive,” he said. “But we went through it and it wasn’t as positive. But it is a starting point. I just wish the starting point was in April.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)