Oct 18, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Michael Bublé admits he “wimped out” after pulling himself from the line-up of Wednesday’s “Bieksa’s Buddies” charity hockey game in Vancouver, but we suppose we can’t be too hard on the guy – not after he matched the $100,000 the event raised for various good causes with a $100,000 donation of his own.
The sold-out game, organized by Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa and played in front of 5,000 fans, pitted the likes of Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Dan Hamhuis, Manny Malhotra, Max Lapierre and Cory Schneider versus the University of British Columbia men’s hockey team.
“Honestly I wanted to play but I think I wimped out a bit,” said Bublé. “Nerves got the best of me. But I’m glad I didn’t. It was fast, even faster than a lot of the boys actually thought it would be. If this was my only chance to watch NHL hockey this year, I surely didn’t want to mess it up.”
After falling behind 7-3, Bieksa’s team stormed back with five unanswered goals to win the game, 8-7.
After the game, Daniel Sedin was asked if he was more optimistic about the CBA negotiations after the NHL tabled a new offer Tuesday.
“When I first heard about it, I was really positive,” he said. “But we went through it and it wasn’t as positive. But it is a starting point. I just wish the starting point was in April.”
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 0
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 11
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 4
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights