Nov 22, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Veteran NHL defenseman Mike Commodore has signed a professional tryout offer with Montreal’s AHL team, the Hamilton Bulldogs.
Commodore, 33, split last season between Detroit and Tampa Bay, registering two assists in 30 games while averaging just over 12 minutes per night. The Lightning didn’t extend Commodore’s contract for 2012-13, making him an unrestricted free agent.
The colorful rearguard has fallen on tough times since signing a five-year, $18.75 million deal with Columbus prior to the 2008-09 campaign.
While his first season in Ohio was successful — he appeared in 81 games, finished second in defenseman scoring and played a key role in the BJ’s first-ever playoff appearance — things went south shortly thereafter.
Commodore saw his playing time steadily decrease until things hit rock bottom in 2010-11. After being made a healthy scratch in seven of eight games by then-head coach Scott Arniel, Commodore requested a trade but was instead put on waivers.
He ended up playing only 20 NHL games that season and 11 with AHL Springfield, meaning he does have some fairly recent experience in the American league. That should serve him well in Hamilton, as the Bulldogs blueline has been decimated by injury as of late and could use Commodore’s presence in the lineup.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 25
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 12
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)