Nov 20, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT
Wednesday could mark a major turning point in CBA negotiations between the NHL and NHLPA; however, deputy commissioner Bill Daly isn’t getting his hopes up.
Or down, if you’re an optimist.
“I don’t have any expectations at this point,” Daly wrote to the Chicago Tribune in an e-mail.
Daly has expressed frustration at what he deems the NHLPA’s unwillingness to compromise on the issues that continue to divide the two sides. Thus, the importance of tomorrow’s talks when the players are expected to present the NHL with a new offer.
“If their proposal continues to be a guaranteed amount of players’ share dollars,” Daly said Monday, “we have told them that sitting here on Nov. 19, that’s not a proposal that is acceptable to us or would ever be acceptable to our owners right now.”
Daly is also hoping the union’s proposal will encompass all the issues, not just a select few.
“We think it’s all tied together and we’d like to hear it all together,” he said.
Safe to say, if the union maintains its demands for a guaranteed dollar amount of revenue and/or doesn’t address all the issues in its proposal, tomorrow will not bring this dispute any closer to a resolution.
In fact, it may drive the sides further apart.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)