Nov 20, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT
Wednesday could mark a major turning point in CBA negotiations between the NHL and NHLPA; however, deputy commissioner Bill Daly isn’t getting his hopes up.
Or down, if you’re an optimist.
“I don’t have any expectations at this point,” Daly wrote to the Chicago Tribune in an e-mail.
Daly has expressed frustration at what he deems the NHLPA’s unwillingness to compromise on the issues that continue to divide the two sides. Thus, the importance of tomorrow’s talks when the players are expected to present the NHL with a new offer.
“If their proposal continues to be a guaranteed amount of players’ share dollars,” Daly said Monday, “we have told them that sitting here on Nov. 19, that’s not a proposal that is acceptable to us or would ever be acceptable to our owners right now.”
Daly is also hoping the union’s proposal will encompass all the issues, not just a select few.
“We think it’s all tied together and we’d like to hear it all together,” he said.
Safe to say, if the union maintains its demands for a guaranteed dollar amount of revenue and/or doesn’t address all the issues in its proposal, tomorrow will not bring this dispute any closer to a resolution.
In fact, it may drive the sides further apart.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)