Nov 20, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT
Wednesday could mark a major turning point in CBA negotiations between the NHL and NHLPA; however, deputy commissioner Bill Daly isn’t getting his hopes up.
Or down, if you’re an optimist.
“I don’t have any expectations at this point,” Daly wrote to the Chicago Tribune in an e-mail.
Daly has expressed frustration at what he deems the NHLPA’s unwillingness to compromise on the issues that continue to divide the two sides. Thus, the importance of tomorrow’s talks when the players are expected to present the NHL with a new offer.
“If their proposal continues to be a guaranteed amount of players’ share dollars,” Daly said Monday, “we have told them that sitting here on Nov. 19, that’s not a proposal that is acceptable to us or would ever be acceptable to our owners right now.”
Daly is also hoping the union’s proposal will encompass all the issues, not just a select few.
“We think it’s all tied together and we’d like to hear it all together,” he said.
Safe to say, if the union maintains its demands for a guaranteed dollar amount of revenue and/or doesn’t address all the issues in its proposal, tomorrow will not bring this dispute any closer to a resolution.
In fact, it may drive the sides further apart.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)