Nov 20, 2012, 3:22 PM EST
Wednesday could mark a major turning point in CBA negotiations between the NHL and NHLPA; however, deputy commissioner Bill Daly isn’t getting his hopes up.
Or down, if you’re an optimist.
“I don’t have any expectations at this point,” Daly wrote to the Chicago Tribune in an e-mail.
Daly has expressed frustration at what he deems the NHLPA’s unwillingness to compromise on the issues that continue to divide the two sides. Thus, the importance of tomorrow’s talks when the players are expected to present the NHL with a new offer.
“If their proposal continues to be a guaranteed amount of players’ share dollars,” Daly said Monday, “we have told them that sitting here on Nov. 19, that’s not a proposal that is acceptable to us or would ever be acceptable to our owners right now.”
Daly is also hoping the union’s proposal will encompass all the issues, not just a select few.
“We think it’s all tied together and we’d like to hear it all together,” he said.
Safe to say, if the union maintains its demands for a guaranteed dollar amount of revenue and/or doesn’t address all the issues in its proposal, tomorrow will not bring this dispute any closer to a resolution.
In fact, it may drive the sides further apart.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 23
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (133)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)