If the NHLPA moves on economics and the NHL moves on contracting rights, do we have a deal?

Nov 20, 2012, 12:39 PM EST

Bettman and Fehr Getty Images

At this point in CBA negotiations between the NHL and NHLPA, it appears there are two big issues left to resolve before the league gets back on the ice where it belongs.

The first is economics. The league wants the union to quit making proposals that guarantee the players a certain amount of money. Instead, it wants things to work as they did under the last CBA, with the players getting a fixed percentage of league revenue, whatever that league revenue ends up being.

The second is player contracting. The league wants to end back-diving deals, cap contract lengths at five years and for players to become eligible for unrestricted free agency a year later than under the last CBA. The union, meanwhile, wants things to stay more or less the same.

Unfortunately, it seems each side is afraid that if it offers concessions on one issue, the other side will refuse to budge on the other issue. Which doesn’t say much about the level of trust in these negotiations.

So how does a deal get done?

The consensus best guess involves the players moving on economics and the league softening its player contracting demands.

Which brings us to the report that the NHLPA is working on a new proposal that could be presented Wednesday.

If TSN’s Darren Dreger is right and there is indeed “a sense of urgency coming from the players,” then perhaps that proposal will address some of the NHL’s concerns. At that point, the ball would be back in the league’s court to address some of the players’ concerns.

1. capesouth - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I have no idea if this means a deal will get done. I still believe hockey will be played this year though. I just can’t believe they would let another lockout end the entire season. Not saying it is impossible bc clearly it isn’t with Bettman at the helm. I just don’t think it is likely. Perhaps this season will be like the NBA last year. By the time playoffs started, things were pretty much back to normal, despite the December start.

2. bensawesomeness - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM

WHAT!!? They actually have to COMPROMISE?? Who would have EVER seen that coming!

No hockey for 2 months because these morons forgot how to actually negotiate.

• tfaltin - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I think it’s been more a “don’t want to” or “don’t know how to” negotiate than a “forgot how to.”

• richter35lundqvist30 - Nov 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Really justified your name with that comment. Ben’s awesomeness on full display.

3. islesjb - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Sighh… another minuscule reason for optimism that will probably end in further frustration. This is coming who was predicting that a deal would have been signed by last Friday.

I can already see Wednesday’s headline after an NHLPA Proposal- “Daly On Proposal: “NOT EVEN CLOSE.””

• islesjb - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

this is coming from someone who*

• ibieiniid - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM

PHT should title all their pieces “Here’s a piece of possibly somewhat relevant information”

• Jason Brough - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Too wordy.
        How about: “If you still care…

• ibieiniid - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:19 PM

@Jason

maybe “This is a story.”

4. redwingsfan999 - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I really want the NHL to make a deal before December but I don’t see that happening, I don’t see a season happening @ all this year, I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see it

5. mydadyourmom - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM

if my balls fly up into my stomach and i grow out my teets, am i a woman?

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Nov 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM

No, but then we’d all confirm our suspicions that your IQ is slightly below, below normal and your incompetent at best

• mydadyourmom - Nov 21, 2012 at 2:46 PM

oh neat, thanks.

6. id4joey - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM

bensawesomeness, do you really think this was not a planned lockout? C’mon. There is a reason why the ownership was so hands off over the summer and well past Oct. they didn’t care for a deal. Why? Eliminate hockey operation expenses over the least profitable time of the year. No training camp, no oct and no nov. makes sense.

7. flyeredup202 - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I am thankful for the NHL and NHLPA to stop being greedy and let me watch the sport I love. Please find a way to get the deal done for Turkey day.

8. capsrockva - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Get the dam deal done please………… for the fan’s sake

9. Eberwizzle - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Do any of you actually think the players or owners actually care about you or what you think?

• islesjb - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM

you mean they’re not checking PHT every day and reading every one of these comments as way to get a pulse on fan sentiment?

News ta me. I could have sworn that mississippimudslinger was Donald Fehr

• chrisvegas - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Do you actually think any of the fans care about what you think?

• Eberwizzle - Nov 21, 2012 at 12:11 AM

So far I’d say at least 19 people care what I think and you for responding….thanks for caring

10. chrisvegas - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Just meet in the middle and lets get this season going.

11. bills4 - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Mississippi……..Duck Dynasty isn’t about how Anaheim won a Stanley Cup.

12. bills4 - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Hockey players get Basketball money and where is this sport on this page….. Yup below golf, college football, and bowling.

13. sippindasyzurp - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Fehr right now is sitting at the side of the net, waiting for that one-timer to bang it in and score a big deal.. Instead he whiffs on the one timer and falls on his ass again..

So your telling me this whole time the NHLPA has never submitted a formal proposal? What the hell has Fehr been doing this whole time?

I think that Fehr is under pressure from the players to negotiate and by him just showing up and asking Gary what’s good on the lunch menu, he thinks that’s sufficient enough to say hes “negotiating”.

I can’t wait to here the news tomorrow that the NHLPA submitted its same so called “proposal” again for the 6th time in 2 months, and the sides are very far apart!

• chrisvegas - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

How dare Fehr not kneel before Bettman and the greedy owners and accept the horrible deals they so graciously proposed. To think Fehr has the nerve to try and represent the players by getting the best possible deal he can, the nerve of this man to actually do his job. God knows the three counter offers they made didn’t count as negotiating because they weren’t “former proposals”. I guess Fehr has done nothing in the meetings accept eat Bon Bons. Dude get real! The owners are demanding a lot and they themselves have given nothing. The owners choose the lockout. They could have been playing hockey right now while they continued to negotiate if it weren’t for the greed of the Billionaire owners.

14. sportsfan69 - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Wow! Maybe we’ll have hockey this season after all. Request free agency after Six full seasons (>50 games). Compromise with Eight year max contracts. All existing contracts honored. Play a 60 game schedule, with a salary prorated to the 60 games. Allow for the Salary Cap to remain at 63 million, along with next season to prevent salary cap dumping of NHL fan favorite players. By the third year, it’s 50/50 split.

Both parties come out ahead. It’s like an old school NHL game TIE’D.

15. thedavesiknowiknow - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

• valoisvipers - Nov 21, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Well said our voiceless friend!

16. bleedingteal4life - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Shouldn’t they have been doing this 3 months ago.

17. sabatimus - Nov 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

If a tree falls in a forest…

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches