Igor Larionov: Canucks should retire Bure’s jersey

Nov 15, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT

Pavel Bure Getty Images

The Vancouver Canucks might not have plans to retire Hall of Famer Pavel Bure’s jersey, but they should, according to three-time Stanley Cup winner and former teammate Igor Larionov.

“For his accomplishments here and for his dedication to the game in bringing so much fun and joy to the city in his playing days, I think he should be up there – no doubt,” said Larionov in a Vancouver Province report.

Bure spent his first seven NHL seasons with the Canucks. During his tenure with the franchise, he posted back-to-back 60 goal seasons and led the team to the Stanley Cup finals.

That being said, Bure only played in 428 with Vancouver, which isn’t enough to put him in the franchise’s top-10 list in that category. He does rank fifth in the franchise’s history with 254 goals and seventh with 478 points.

NHL legend Phil Esposito isn’t sure that’s enough to warrant Bure getting his jersey retired. Esposito also feels that having your jersey retired is the highest honor there is, above even getting into the Hall of Fame.

“The Hall of Fame is nice, but a lot of guys get into the Hall of Fame,” Esposito said.

Regardless of whether or Bure’s jersey end up getting retired, he was one of the greats.

1. nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 16, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I’m not sure if I’d vote to retire Bure’s Canucks’ number (probably), but as to the length of his tenure there, recall that the Avalanche retired Ray Bourque’s sweater and he played 128 games for them, including playoffs. Just sayin’.

2. badintent - Nov 16, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Won’t happen, he didn’t like Vancouver Beaver(tails)

I’m Mark Messier and I approved this message. Enjoy the hockey riot.

3. kicksave1980 - Nov 16, 2012 at 2:49 AM

I hate the Canucks, but I think that both Bure and Kirk McLean should have their numbers retired in Vancouver.

4. sykose - Nov 16, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Reblogged this on sykose's Blog.

5. mrchainbluelightning - Nov 16, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Bure was awesome but no way should any team retire a # for a guy who played less than 500 games for a team unless his time was cut short by injured or passed away.

It has nothing to do with talent, it’s simply a case where Espo is right, A team not allowing another to wear a # is bigger than the H’oF.

428 AWESOME games just isn’t enough to get it done imo

Hell I’m not sure if 800 games is good enough, if you’re under 800 you better with a cup cups and Harts
    Shanahan played over 800 with the Red Wings and I promise you his # is not going up to the rafters

Top 10 NHL Player Searches