Nov 12, 2012, 8:21 PM EDT
Pavel “The Russian Rocket” Bure is a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.
His career started in the Soviet Union and knee problems ultimately limited him to 702 NHL games. Even still, he left an impact on the world of hockey.
During his induction speech, Bure looked back on playing the game as a child and thanked his mom for her support.
“I could only feel excitement, not knowing how hard it was for my mom,” Bure said, curtesy of the NHL.com. “It only became more difficult when my little brother Valeri, who later became an NHL star, started to play.”
Bure also had a message for the fans.
“We play for you,” he said. “I’ll never forget the sights and sounds of the packed arena and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the support throughout my career.”
That message might ring a little louder in the face of the lockout and also serve as a reminder that when the NHL eventually starts up again, the players will resume their individual goals of being the best they can possibly be.
As for Bure, he can feel good about his past.
“I accomplished my dreams.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)