Nov 12, 2012, 8:21 PM EDT
Pavel “The Russian Rocket” Bure is a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.
His career started in the Soviet Union and knee problems ultimately limited him to 702 NHL games. Even still, he left an impact on the world of hockey.
During his induction speech, Bure looked back on playing the game as a child and thanked his mom for her support.
“I could only feel excitement, not knowing how hard it was for my mom,” Bure said, curtesy of the NHL.com. “It only became more difficult when my little brother Valeri, who later became an NHL star, started to play.”
Bure also had a message for the fans.
“We play for you,” he said. “I’ll never forget the sights and sounds of the packed arena and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the support throughout my career.”
That message might ring a little louder in the face of the lockout and also serve as a reminder that when the NHL eventually starts up again, the players will resume their individual goals of being the best they can possibly be.
As for Bure, he can feel good about his past.
“I accomplished my dreams.”
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 65
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (71)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)