Nov 8, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
Big development out of Vancouver today in the wake of news the Canucks planned to raise Pavel Bure’s No. 10 to the Rogers Arena rafters.
According to Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun, such a plan does not exist.
The sensational story today about Vancouver Canuck owner Francesco Aquilini flying across the continent to offer Pavel Bure a jersey retirement ceremony was not only news to fans, but news to the National Hockey League team.
Aquilini has not commented on the report, which quotes only ex-Canuck Gino Odjick, so no one from the organization is speaking on the record about it. But it’s clear people in the Canucks have no knowledge of this plan because, almost certainly, it does not exist.
MacIntyre also notes Bure met with Canucks brass two years ago about being honored by the club and “made it clear” he had no interest in returning to Vancouver for a ceremony.
Of note, current Canucks GM Mike Gillis was Bure’s agent at the time he orchestrated a trade from Vancouver in 1998.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car