Nov 8, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
Big development out of Vancouver today in the wake of news the Canucks planned to raise Pavel Bure’s No. 10 to the Rogers Arena rafters.
According to Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun, such a plan does not exist.
The sensational story today about Vancouver Canuck owner Francesco Aquilini flying across the continent to offer Pavel Bure a jersey retirement ceremony was not only news to fans, but news to the National Hockey League team.
Aquilini has not commented on the report, which quotes only ex-Canuck Gino Odjick, so no one from the organization is speaking on the record about it. But it’s clear people in the Canucks have no knowledge of this plan because, almost certainly, it does not exist.
MacIntyre also notes Bure met with Canucks brass two years ago about being honored by the club and “made it clear” he had no interest in returning to Vancouver for a ceremony.
Of note, current Canucks GM Mike Gillis was Bure’s agent at the time he orchestrated a trade from Vancouver in 1998.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)