Go figure: Kostitsyn says he was misquoted by Russian newspaper

Oct 23, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT

Sergei Kostitsyn AP

Remember when Sergei Kostitsyn was quoted by a Russian newspaper saying, “it would be better (for the players) if the lockout continues” and talked about how can’t adjust to being in America? The Predators’ winger says he was misquoted.

Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean caught up with Kostitsyn and found out he’s a big fan of the States.

“I just want to say I really enjoy America and Nashville,” Kostitsyn said.

That should keep him from being booed when the Predators hit the ice for the first time at home.

This isn’t the first time a player says he’s been misquoted this summer as Washington’s Michal Neuvirth said the same thing happened to him in an interview he supposedly went off on the Capitals organization and Alex Ovechkin. Getting lost in translation like this hasn’t been this awkward since Bill Murray wound up in Japan.

1. rca26 - Oct 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM

“However, I stand by what I said about Columbus”

2. sabatimus - Oct 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM

This never happens. Ever.

3. blomfeld - Oct 23, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Wow ! … never saw that coming eh ? :)

4. paul621 - Oct 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM

This is so stupid. Who cares if he doesn’t like it here? If I grew up overseas and all my family and friends were over there, I might feel the same way. “There’s no place like home,” even if home isn’t the US.

5. ducksk - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I call BS obviously. Never under any circumstance trust a ruskie. You can like how they play, but never forget you can’t trust them….deep down they are raised from birth to hate N. America. He is just another pig in a bay of pigs.

• nogoodtomedead - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Bay of Pigs was in Cuba

• blomfeld - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Ducksk – Your patriotism is commendable friend, however it’s misguided to generalize like that, especially in this context. Yes there are cultural differences and tendencies no doubt, which is why we have collective homes known as countries. But at the end of the day, we’re still “all” more or less the same. Love, pain, hope, sorrow, hunger, joy, fear, happiness and so forth, are felt and experienced the same by all of us in the world, regardless of our nationality, color or race ! (ie: and I’ll have you Booth Lovers know that that applies to our animal friends too). Rudyard Kipling’s famous poem probably sums it all up better than anything else …

Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
      Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God’s great Judgment Seat;
      But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
      When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth

So sure, let’s poke some fun at these Ruskie “millionaire” turncoats like Kostitsyn. Though while we do that, let us also refrain from seriously castigating an entire people who are really just like us in the end.

ps: hey man, I know you’re just kidding around … but I just love talking about this crap ! :)

• vshehane - Oct 24, 2012 at 2:03 PM

He is from Belarus.

6. csilojohnson - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:38 PM

ducksk… Thats a very narrow minded and ignorant comment. Its a good thing there ARE intelligent people from all countries who aren’t sheep to thier authority. Wouldnt include you by the looks of it.

7. ducksk - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:57 PM

All about the 1st amendment. Ever heard of it? It was ignorant sarcasm, I know it!

• paul621 - Oct 23, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Well, as long as the sarcasm was ignorant I guess we’re cool.

8. jimw81 - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Who’s Sergei Kostitsyn?

9. vshehane - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I have actually spoken with Sergei on several occasions and I can tell you it is very possible for him to be misquoted when translated. He rarely speaks to the media because his English is so bad. His brother’s was even worse. I am not sure where the whole Columbus reference would come from but I can tell you that we in Nashville agree with him.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches