Apparently Sergei Kostitsyn doesn’t like living in North America

Oct 22, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT

Sergei Kostitsyn Getty Images

Assuming nothing was lost in translation or taken out of context, Predators forward Sergei Kostitsyn will have some explaining to do when he returns to the NHL.

If, that is, he returns to the NHL.

According to a Reuters report (via an interview with Russian daily Sport-Express), Kostitsyn “hated” (Reuters’ word) life in North America and called Columbus “the gloomiest” (his words) city in the United States.

“I couldn’t get used to (American) mentality. They are totally different people from us,” he said.

Kostitsyn, 25, also wants the NHL to go ahead and cancel the season now if there’s going to be no hockey.

“Let’s put it this way – it would be better (for the players) if the lockout continues,” he said.

“Players want a definite answer. If the NHL season is lost – let it be that way. I would then play in Russia for the whole season.”

Kostitsyn recently signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Preds.

Currently he’s playing in Siberia with Avangard Omsk of the KHL.

We hear winter in Siberia isn’t gloomy in the least.

1. bcjim - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Fine leave. Nobody will miss you.

• blomfeld - Oct 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM

“Hear Hear” bcjim ! …

though I wouldn’t stop there … I say cancel the jerk’s contract, revoke his work visa and put in a call to “Igor” over there to have a little “chat” with him …

• jhrousseau51 - Oct 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Totally agree! Stay in Russia.

2. fortwaynekomets - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Isn’t this the guy who hit the bars with Radulov until 2am the night before there biggest game of their life?

Yeah, I don’t want him in my country anyways. Poor influence on the kids, and a disservice to the Predators

• habsman - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I think it was his brother Andrei who missed curfew with Radulov.

3. manchestermiracle - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Even if the NHL does play this season Kostitsyn should stay away. Quotes like his do nothing but damage the players’ rep with fans.

4. capsfan19 - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

His criminal syndicate isnt able to operate in the US. Thats why he’s salty

5. tmoore4075 - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

So you don’t like it that much here but signed a 2 year contract. He could have left on his own before but chose to sign here. This is why I don’t buy any of this I’m not coming back to the NHL crap from these guys. If everything was so great over in Russia or wherever than why do you continue to sign here in North America? Once your contract is up there is nothing keeping you here.

6. greej1938l - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Just leave then we don’t need you in this great nation your not even that good, you wrister is dusty

7. contraryguy - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM

The shortcomings of a middle US city in the months when hockey is played are hardly unique to Columbus. Guess he couldn’t find a hooker who speaks Russian here.

In fact, aside from maybe NYC or Detroit, are there any cities where these guys LIKE to play?

• rogersjd16 - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Ah, Boston? Chicago? St. Louis? Philadelphia? Denver? Pittsburgh (ok, maybe this is a stretch)? Pretty closed and random statement picking just NYC and Detroit.

This being said, I went to school 25 miles east of Columbus – it is a pretty drab city. Ohio State and a couple good Germantown eateries are about all it has going for it.

• georgiared - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Where about east rogers? I grew up in Heath(30 miles East) and we could always find stuff to do. In fact I went back for the first time in 12 years this past March and couldn’t believe how much better it was(of course Eastland I guess now is a ghetto) than when I grew up.

• kitshky - Oct 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Ya … cause the quality of life in Detroit is unmatched by any other NHL city. Brilliant analysis.

• georgiared - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Yeah, having lived like 40 miles north of Detroit for 3.5 years, that place was depressing. Everywhere U went, U were afraid of gettng shot. I went to Bowling Green for a little while in the mid-late 90’s and I remember a news report about the players wanting Illitch to push for a new arena near the Pistons arena(Auburn Hills) cause they were afraid of the area Joe Louis is located.

• jmacphee9 - Oct 23, 2012 at 2:56 AM

i live 2 miles from the city and i dont worry about getting shot ever? the surrounding area of detroit is very nice, and obviously players like living in the area and most of them spend the rest of their lives in the area…

• georgiared - Oct 23, 2012 at 4:00 AM

I know Gross Pointe wasn’t bad, but I went to a mall in Livonia(saw old Negro league ball player Buck O’neil) & a guy I worked with(who was born & raised in Detroit) couldn’t believe I made it our alive. The one time I went to a Tiger game, the parking attendant told me and my two friends to stay together cause “you honkies will get mugged in a heartbeat.”

Was surprised that the area around Auburn Hills Palace wasn’t more built up though, cause there’s the arena and not a whole lot else. Then again it is sort of out of the way from the rest of the city.

8. sabatimus - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Sergei also does suck as a player, so maybe he can go somewhere else where maybe his sucking will be noticed less.

9. thesublimeylimey - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I feel sorry for his agent, I bet he’s got a few irate calls.

Never a good idea to insult the country that has played host to you for several years and made you rich in the process.

10. ewoods6 - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:22 PM

He must not enjoy breathing the sweet air of freedom.

Communists huh??

11. yanks33 - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Guys a douchebag…always has been and always will be

12. jimw81 - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM

i wonder if when bryz made his comment that he’s done with the flyers.

13. id4joey - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I’m just curious.. did he say he didn’t like North America or American mentality? Either way this is another childish mistake.

14. irokkit - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I’m confused. The guy just said he couldn’t get used to American life. How many of you “writers” think at age 23 you could get used to living in some city in Russia. And just because he thinks Columbus is dismal you all take personal shots at his character. Do any of YOU know him? Have any of YOU lived in Columbus? How many of YOU can compare with experience the difference between his hometown and Columbus? I’m just asking a fundamental question.
    I grew up in Boston. I love it there. But let’s be real. That town can be pretty dismal in the dead of winter too. No snow on the ground -10 degrees out with a kicking wind. I know I’m pretty well upside down feelin like what the hell at that point too.. Now if i had to do it in a city where the language, the food, the clothes, the stores and the commuting are all different from what i knew as a kid…..think about it a little.
    I like his comments. Not got the words but for the truth. If that is how he feels about Columbus or any other city, kudos foe telling the truth.
    Now get the F out!!!!

15. nhstateline - Oct 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

grew up in Boston, lived in Columbus for a while It’s a nice town 9 months out of the year but in the winter it is gloomy. The sun seldom comes out. I didn’t know there was such a thing as a cloudy month until I moved to Central Ohio and lived through a few. He’s right about Columbus being gloomy in the winter (and I liked it there but I think this is so). At least in Boston, the sun shines. It’s cold and there’s a lot of snow but it’s brighter too. That said, why these guys aren’t assuming every word they’re saying in Europe isn’t coming right back over here is beyond my understanding.

16. mellenhead44 - Oct 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I’m confused with the subject and conversation of Columbus. Does this joker not play for Nashville?

17. east96st - Oct 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I was born and raised in NYC and relocated to Columbus for work. Yeah, it’s dreary in the winter. Sometimes you think the sun no longer exists. But if I was a 23 year old professional athlete who signed a $6 million dollar contract and I found myself in a city packed with OSU coeds, I’m pretty damn sure I could find a way to make winter really entertaining around here. Not sure I would be able to skate, but my teammates would understand.

18. nhler - Oct 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Wow. Reuters translation is a total bllsht.
    – Kostitsyn “hated” (Reuters’ word) – indeed, he didn’t say this. I feel it’s Reuters own conclusion.
    – called Columbus “the gloomiest” – it was a joke answer on a joke question “Is there anything gloomier then Detroit in the United States?” (“Yeah, Columbus:)”). His current Omsk city is way gloomier then any NHL location. Previous question about the North American city he could live forever he answered “I would choose to live in New York. I don’t like crowds, but it’s a special city.” So no hate at all.
    – “I couldn’t get used to (American) mentality. They are totally different people from us,” – almost true. The question was “What didn’t you STILL get used to”. I bet not many Americans could get used to European mentality in 6 years.
    “Let’s put it this way – it would be better (for the players) if the lockout continues,” – again, close but not true. He meant players don’t want to question themselves “here or there?” and want to know precisely where they will play this season. Understandable.
    And no, he doesn’t like Russia and don’t want to live in Russia. He said after career will come to end he will return to Belarus.
    Reuters s*ck.

• manchestermiracle - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Wish yours could have been the top post.

19. ducksk - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Isn’t Siberia the destination of all in the world? Ruskie vodka, hookers, mafia and big old jetliners. FU

• jimeejohnson - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Sounds like you’re talking about New York.

• nhler - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

…and many oil and natural gas companies which is the actual reason KHL clubs can sign top players.

20. hines86for6 - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

SK plays for the Predators. Columbus was a joke. Nashville is a great city. Transitioning from a big little city to a little big city.

21. xjokerz - Oct 23, 2012 at 4:10 AM