Aug 27, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins haven’t had a terrible summer.
They added Tomas Vokoun to give them one of the best goaltending duos in the league and re-signed Sidney Crosby. Plus, as painful as it must have been to trade Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes, getting Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin, and Derrick Pouliot (via Carolina’s eighth overall 2012 pick) in return wasn’t bad, given the circumstances.
“We have interest. But he has made it clear he wants to stay in Phoenix,” Penguins GM Ray Shero said, via Josh Yohe.
Doan’s agent has made it clear that his client will sign before Sept. 15, but nothing has been announced yet.
If Doan does end up back in Phoenix, then it looks like the Pittsburgh Penguins roster is pretty much set. They do have an explosive offensive trio in Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and James Neal, but their scoring depth is questionable.
Still, given that the Buffalo Sabres offered Doan, who will turn 36 in October, a four-year, $30 million contract, maybe missing out on him will prove to be beneficial for Pittsburgh in the long-run from a salary cap perspective.
“You’re never totally satisfied with your roster,” Shero added. “I really liked our roster last year. Then you saw what happened in the playoffs.”
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 5
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 28
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 87
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (87)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games