Aug 27, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins haven’t had a terrible summer.
They added Tomas Vokoun to give them one of the best goaltending duos in the league and re-signed Sidney Crosby. Plus, as painful as it must have been to trade Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes, getting Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin, and Derrick Pouliot (via Carolina’s eighth overall 2012 pick) in return wasn’t bad, given the circumstances.
“We have interest. But he has made it clear he wants to stay in Phoenix,” Penguins GM Ray Shero said, via Josh Yohe.
Doan’s agent has made it clear that his client will sign before Sept. 15, but nothing has been announced yet.
If Doan does end up back in Phoenix, then it looks like the Pittsburgh Penguins roster is pretty much set. They do have an explosive offensive trio in Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and James Neal, but their scoring depth is questionable.
Still, given that the Buffalo Sabres offered Doan, who will turn 36 in October, a four-year, $30 million contract, maybe missing out on him will prove to be beneficial for Pittsburgh in the long-run from a salary cap perspective.
“You’re never totally satisfied with your roster,” Shero added. “I really liked our roster last year. Then you saw what happened in the playoffs.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 20
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)