Aug 27, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins haven’t had a terrible summer.
They added Tomas Vokoun to give them one of the best goaltending duos in the league and re-signed Sidney Crosby. Plus, as painful as it must have been to trade Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes, getting Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin, and Derrick Pouliot (via Carolina’s eighth overall 2012 pick) in return wasn’t bad, given the circumstances.
“We have interest. But he has made it clear he wants to stay in Phoenix,” Penguins GM Ray Shero said, via Josh Yohe.
Doan’s agent has made it clear that his client will sign before Sept. 15, but nothing has been announced yet.
If Doan does end up back in Phoenix, then it looks like the Pittsburgh Penguins roster is pretty much set. They do have an explosive offensive trio in Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and James Neal, but their scoring depth is questionable.
Still, given that the Buffalo Sabres offered Doan, who will turn 36 in October, a four-year, $30 million contract, maybe missing out on him will prove to be beneficial for Pittsburgh in the long-run from a salary cap perspective.
“You’re never totally satisfied with your roster,” Shero added. “I really liked our roster last year. Then you saw what happened in the playoffs.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)