Penguins GM: Doan “has made it clear he wants to stay in Phoenix”

Aug 27, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT

Shane Doan Getty Images

The Pittsburgh Penguins haven’t had a terrible summer.

They added Tomas Vokoun to give them one of the best goaltending duos in the league and re-signed Sidney Crosby. Plus, as painful as it must have been to trade Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes, getting Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin, and Derrick Pouliot (via Carolina’s eighth overall 2012 pick) in return wasn’t bad, given the circumstances.

All the same, the Pittsburgh Penguins also missed out on superstar free agents Zach Parise and Ryan Suter and the odds of Shane Doan joining the squad aren’t great.

“We have interest. But he has made it clear he wants to stay in Phoenix,” Penguins GM Ray Shero said, via Josh Yohe.

Doan’s agent has made it clear that his client will sign before Sept. 15, but nothing has been announced yet.

If Doan does end up back in Phoenix, then it looks like the Pittsburgh Penguins roster is pretty much set. They do have an explosive offensive trio in Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and James Neal, but their scoring depth is questionable.

Still, given that the Buffalo Sabres offered Doan, who will turn 36 in October, a four-year, $30 million contract, maybe missing out on him will prove to be beneficial for Pittsburgh in the long-run from a salary cap perspective.

“You’re never totally satisfied with your roster,” Shero added. “I really liked our roster last year. Then you saw what happened in the playoffs.”

1. Eberwizzle - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Alright, I’m officially tired of Doan now.

• polegojim - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM

TOTALLY… the only thing left is to hear what Justin Bieber thinks Doan should do.

Dude… take a job somewhere, anywhere… soon.

2. bcsteele - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I’m sorry but did you re-post this? Because it seems to me I’ve known this all along. I’ve also heard he’s going to sign by several different deadlines…the latest being Sept 15 (which I’ve said all along would make the most sense given the CBA situation). I also know that I respect Shane Doan as a player as much as anybody.

But to be objective and give my two cents cause I haven’t yet even though I’ve had numerous oppurtunities…He’s not worth what Buffalo has on the table…I’m really tired of hearing about this until he does sign…and at this point I could care less.

3. dkphilly1122 - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Yeah, we all seen what happened in the playoffs……they got manhandled by Giroux, Couturier and the rest of the Flyers. I ain’t hatin either. I LOVE when the Flyers and Pens play, they’re always battles. Two good teams going at it. If they aren’t the next Winter Classic it’s BS. The battle of PA would be amazing.

• claysbar - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:28 PM

The unfortunate thing is, other than the obvious, is that I doubt that they would want to play it in Beaver Stadium like most of the stories have alluded to. Just a bit too much going on there to distract. But that would be awesome if it were to happen.

• kingfooj - Aug 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM

also, both the pens and flyers have already participated in a winter classic. (Pens and caps, flyers and rangers) Not that it wouldnt be an epic game because it completely would be, i just cant see the league not giving other teams the chance

• flyersgoalscoredby88 - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM

you forgot the Pens and Sabers, and the Flyers and Bruins.

• Eberwizzle - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Putting the Buffalo Sabers in the Winter Classic would make as much sense as putting Florida Panthers there.

4. barkar942 - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM

“They added Tomas Vokoun to give them one of the best goaltending duos in the league “.
    SERIOUSLY?

I can see a comment of ” a much improved potential back up”, but one of the best duos? Really?
    How about Luongo-Schneider (granted they may be split by the start of whenever there is hockey again)?
    How about Lundqvist-Biron?
    How about Quick-Bernier?

• claysbar - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:31 PM

One – of – the – best……

• chizmo - Aug 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM

thank you.

• bcsteele - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Halak – Elliot?

Jennings Trophy

5. navzgm - Aug 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM

The Doan story is beyond old, it’s been killed at least a dozen times now. Officially worse than the Justin Schultz era..

6. kitshky - Aug 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM

It’s …pretty obvious he wants to stay in Phoenix, and it’s also quite obvious he’s not going to.

He’s not signing until the ownership situation is resolved, he pretty much has to sign before the Sept 15th deadline, and there’s no practical way the ownership situation is (barring a miracle) resolved by the 15th.

You’ve been a good soldier pal, time to get your last couple of cheques, set your family up for life, and take a shot at your last couple cracks at a Cup … Phoenix is still going to be there in 4 years.

7. sjsharks66 - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Buffalo was already in the classic….

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D