Aug 24, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
Hold the phone — we’ve got another deadline from the Shane Doan camp.
This time it’s Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, who claims the veteran Coyotes captain will sign a contract by Sept. 15, the expiration date for the current CBA.
“Shane is going to sign a contract before the CBA expires on the 15th,”Bross told AZ Central. “[Ownership has to] be done before the 15th, otherwise we’re signing somewhere because we don’t know what the new CBA is going to look like, and I don’t know if it’s going to limit any scope of a contract, so we want to make sure we sign before then.
“I guess from that respect, time is ticking.”
While signing by the 15th makes sense, it remains to be seen if it’ll actually be a hard deadline. Doan’s summer has been marked by a number of rumored decision dates, none of which have panned out.
That said, it’s obvious Doan wants a deal done under the current bargaining agreement. And he’s not alone.
Despite recent labor issues, players continue to sign long-term extensions with their clubs. Edmonton’s Taylor Hall (seven years, $42 million), Montreal’s Max Pacioretty (six years, $27 million) and Philly’s Scott Hartnell (six years, $28.5 million) and Wayne Simmonds (six years, $23.8 million) have all inked within the last 10 days.
As for Doan’s suitors — well, this summer has shown there’s a lot of them. The most ballyhooed might be Buffalo, rumored to have offered a four-year, $30 million deal for Doan’s services.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 27
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)