Aug 21, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
ESPN’s John Buccigross reports that the Buffalo Sabres are offering Shane Doan the lucrative deal he’s been asking for.
Most specifically, Buccigross says the offer would be for four-years and around $30 million. Doan is 35, so it would be a 35+ contract if that rule carries over in the next CBA.
The Phoenix Coyotes obviously want to retain Doan’s services, but term could be an issue if Buccigross’ tweet is correct:
Was told tongiht that Buffalo''s four year, 30 million dollar offer to Shane Doan is legit. Coyotes only want to go two years for now.—
John Buccigross (@Buccigross) August 22, 2012
Doan would fit in with the beef-up-Buffalo campaign, however.
GM Darcy Regier signed tough guy John Scott and traded Derek Roy for agitator Steve Ott to make the Sabres “more difficult to play against” next season. Adding Doan to the mix would continue that trend.
If Doan accepts that deal, he’d register a team-high $7.5 million cap hit, more than Thomas Vanek‘s hefty $7.14 million mark.
That would also push the Sabres close to the current, possibly temporary cap ceiling of $70.2 million.
For what it’s worth, Craig Custance listed Buffalo among the three teams that would sweat a dropping salary cap the most even without a Doan deal.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)