Aug 21, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
ESPN’s John Buccigross reports that the Buffalo Sabres are offering Shane Doan the lucrative deal he’s been asking for.
Most specifically, Buccigross says the offer would be for four-years and around $30 million. Doan is 35, so it would be a 35+ contract if that rule carries over in the next CBA.
The Phoenix Coyotes obviously want to retain Doan’s services, but term could be an issue if Buccigross’ tweet is correct:
Was told tongiht that Buffalo''s four year, 30 million dollar offer to Shane Doan is legit. Coyotes only want to go two years for now.—
John Buccigross (@Buccigross) August 22, 2012
Doan would fit in with the beef-up-Buffalo campaign, however.
GM Darcy Regier signed tough guy John Scott and traded Derek Roy for agitator Steve Ott to make the Sabres “more difficult to play against” next season. Adding Doan to the mix would continue that trend.
If Doan accepts that deal, he’d register a team-high $7.5 million cap hit, more than Thomas Vanek‘s hefty $7.14 million mark.
That would also push the Sabres close to the current, possibly temporary cap ceiling of $70.2 million.
For what it’s worth, Craig Custance listed Buffalo among the three teams that would sweat a dropping salary cap the most even without a Doan deal.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 6
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 6
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)