Aug 21, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
ESPN’s John Buccigross reports that the Buffalo Sabres are offering Shane Doan the lucrative deal he’s been asking for.
Most specifically, Buccigross says the offer would be for four-years and around $30 million. Doan is 35, so it would be a 35+ contract if that rule carries over in the next CBA.
The Phoenix Coyotes obviously want to retain Doan’s services, but term could be an issue if Buccigross’ tweet is correct:
Was told tongiht that Buffalo''s four year, 30 million dollar offer to Shane Doan is legit. Coyotes only want to go two years for now.—
John Buccigross (@Buccigross) August 22, 2012
Doan would fit in with the beef-up-Buffalo campaign, however.
GM Darcy Regier signed tough guy John Scott and traded Derek Roy for agitator Steve Ott to make the Sabres “more difficult to play against” next season. Adding Doan to the mix would continue that trend.
If Doan accepts that deal, he’d register a team-high $7.5 million cap hit, more than Thomas Vanek‘s hefty $7.14 million mark.
That would also push the Sabres close to the current, possibly temporary cap ceiling of $70.2 million.
For what it’s worth, Craig Custance listed Buffalo among the three teams that would sweat a dropping salary cap the most even without a Doan deal.
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 2
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 7
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 12
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 11
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 35
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)