Aug 21, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
ESPN’s John Buccigross reports that the Buffalo Sabres are offering Shane Doan the lucrative deal he’s been asking for.
Most specifically, Buccigross says the offer would be for four-years and around $30 million. Doan is 35, so it would be a 35+ contract if that rule carries over in the next CBA.
The Phoenix Coyotes obviously want to retain Doan’s services, but term could be an issue if Buccigross’ tweet is correct:
Was told tongiht that Buffalo''s four year, 30 million dollar offer to Shane Doan is legit. Coyotes only want to go two years for now.—
John Buccigross (@Buccigross) August 22, 2012
Doan would fit in with the beef-up-Buffalo campaign, however.
GM Darcy Regier signed tough guy John Scott and traded Derek Roy for agitator Steve Ott to make the Sabres “more difficult to play against” next season. Adding Doan to the mix would continue that trend.
If Doan accepts that deal, he’d register a team-high $7.5 million cap hit, more than Thomas Vanek‘s hefty $7.14 million mark.
That would also push the Sabres close to the current, possibly temporary cap ceiling of $70.2 million.
For what it’s worth, Craig Custance listed Buffalo among the three teams that would sweat a dropping salary cap the most even without a Doan deal.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)