Jul 15, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
There’s no progress on the Rick Nash trade front. There’s not even so much as a rumor concerning a team interested in acquiring him. GM Scott Howson’s demands are reportedly sky high and some teams, like Carolina, have taken themselves out of the hunt. Meanwhile, Nash’s list of teams he’d agree to go to has Canada feeling left out.
If that sounds awkward, it might just get more uncomfortable soon enough. Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch notes today that things might wind up being uneasy if Nash is still a Blue Jacket when training camp arrives in September. Portzline says Nash would have a couple of options if this turns out to be the case.
Nash could attend training camp, which would be an awkward scene, attracting widespread media attention. Or he could stage the first Blue Jackets’ training camp holdout since Nikolay Zherdev missed three weeks while threatening to play in Russia before the 2006-07 season.
Nash and Zherdev in the same sentence? There’s an unlikely and ignominious pairing in Columbus history if there ever was one. Zherdev wound up being a frustrating first-round bust for Columbus while Nash has easily been the best player the organization has had. About the only thing that could help slow down a potentially awkward autumn is a lockout and that might wind up happening whether he’s dealt or not.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 37
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)