Jul 15, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
There’s no progress on the Rick Nash trade front. There’s not even so much as a rumor concerning a team interested in acquiring him. GM Scott Howson’s demands are reportedly sky high and some teams, like Carolina, have taken themselves out of the hunt. Meanwhile, Nash’s list of teams he’d agree to go to has Canada feeling left out.
If that sounds awkward, it might just get more uncomfortable soon enough. Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch notes today that things might wind up being uneasy if Nash is still a Blue Jacket when training camp arrives in September. Portzline says Nash would have a couple of options if this turns out to be the case.
Nash could attend training camp, which would be an awkward scene, attracting widespread media attention. Or he could stage the first Blue Jackets’ training camp holdout since Nikolay Zherdev missed three weeks while threatening to play in Russia before the 2006-07 season.
Nash and Zherdev in the same sentence? There’s an unlikely and ignominious pairing in Columbus history if there ever was one. Zherdev wound up being a frustrating first-round bust for Columbus while Nash has easily been the best player the organization has had. About the only thing that could help slow down a potentially awkward autumn is a lockout and that might wind up happening whether he’s dealt or not.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)