Jul 15, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
There’s no progress on the Rick Nash trade front. There’s not even so much as a rumor concerning a team interested in acquiring him. GM Scott Howson’s demands are reportedly sky high and some teams, like Carolina, have taken themselves out of the hunt. Meanwhile, Nash’s list of teams he’d agree to go to has Canada feeling left out.
If that sounds awkward, it might just get more uncomfortable soon enough. Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch notes today that things might wind up being uneasy if Nash is still a Blue Jacket when training camp arrives in September. Portzline says Nash would have a couple of options if this turns out to be the case.
Nash could attend training camp, which would be an awkward scene, attracting widespread media attention. Or he could stage the first Blue Jackets’ training camp holdout since Nikolay Zherdev missed three weeks while threatening to play in Russia before the 2006-07 season.
Nash and Zherdev in the same sentence? There’s an unlikely and ignominious pairing in Columbus history if there ever was one. Zherdev wound up being a frustrating first-round bust for Columbus while Nash has easily been the best player the organization has had. About the only thing that could help slow down a potentially awkward autumn is a lockout and that might wind up happening whether he’s dealt or not.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 11
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 20
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 31
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)