Jul 10, 2012, 9:19 AM EST
Remember how great Rick Nash was in the 2010 Olympics for Team Canada? He was one of their key players that year and being a proud Canadian is something that makes Don Cherry’s heart swell.
Funny thing though when you take a look at the list of teams Nash has apparently given the OK to go to in a trade. Boston, the Rangers, Philadelphia, Detroit, Pittsburgh, San Jose. None of those are in Canada.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch hears from NBC’s own Brian Engblom to find out what that’s all about.
“It says he wants to get away,” said former NHL defenseman Brian Engblom, now an NBC analyst. “Every guy is different. Look at the kid (Justin Schultz) that just signed with Edmonton as a free agent. From what I could tell, he only wanted to play in Canada. I played in Canadian and U.S. markets, and I can tell you, it is different. To each his own. Some guys thrive on being under that microscope, of having that daily pressure of everybody watching you. And some guys really don’t like that.”
You’d think playing in Columbus would take you out of the spotlight enough as it is. Being moved to any of those teams won’t do much to reduce Nash’s spotlight as he’ll be expected to be a key component in helping those teams reach the Stanley Cup finals. If Nash really wants to get away, he’ll need to tweak that list just a bit. Too bad they chased off Carolina.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 21
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)