Jul 10, 2012, 9:19 AM EDT
Remember how great Rick Nash was in the 2010 Olympics for Team Canada? He was one of their key players that year and being a proud Canadian is something that makes Don Cherry’s heart swell.
Funny thing though when you take a look at the list of teams Nash has apparently given the OK to go to in a trade. Boston, the Rangers, Philadelphia, Detroit, Pittsburgh, San Jose. None of those are in Canada.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch hears from NBC’s own Brian Engblom to find out what that’s all about.
“It says he wants to get away,” said former NHL defenseman Brian Engblom, now an NBC analyst. “Every guy is different. Look at the kid (Justin Schultz) that just signed with Edmonton as a free agent. From what I could tell, he only wanted to play in Canada. I played in Canadian and U.S. markets, and I can tell you, it is different. To each his own. Some guys thrive on being under that microscope, of having that daily pressure of everybody watching you. And some guys really don’t like that.”
You’d think playing in Columbus would take you out of the spotlight enough as it is. Being moved to any of those teams won’t do much to reduce Nash’s spotlight as he’ll be expected to be a key component in helping those teams reach the Stanley Cup finals. If Nash really wants to get away, he’ll need to tweak that list just a bit. Too bad they chased off Carolina.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 54
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 22
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming