Jul 10, 2012, 9:19 AM EDT
Remember how great Rick Nash was in the 2010 Olympics for Team Canada? He was one of their key players that year and being a proud Canadian is something that makes Don Cherry’s heart swell.
Funny thing though when you take a look at the list of teams Nash has apparently given the OK to go to in a trade. Boston, the Rangers, Philadelphia, Detroit, Pittsburgh, San Jose. None of those are in Canada.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch hears from NBC’s own Brian Engblom to find out what that’s all about.
“It says he wants to get away,” said former NHL defenseman Brian Engblom, now an NBC analyst. “Every guy is different. Look at the kid (Justin Schultz) that just signed with Edmonton as a free agent. From what I could tell, he only wanted to play in Canada. I played in Canadian and U.S. markets, and I can tell you, it is different. To each his own. Some guys thrive on being under that microscope, of having that daily pressure of everybody watching you. And some guys really don’t like that.”
You’d think playing in Columbus would take you out of the spotlight enough as it is. Being moved to any of those teams won’t do much to reduce Nash’s spotlight as he’ll be expected to be a key component in helping those teams reach the Stanley Cup finals. If Nash really wants to get away, he’ll need to tweak that list just a bit. Too bad they chased off Carolina.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)