Jul 14, 2012, 8:55 PM EST
Alexander Semin had 21 goals and 54 points in 2011-12 and that was considered a bad season by his standards.
From a raw statistical perspective, he’s the type of player teams usually trip over to open up their checkbooks for. However, roughly two weeks into the unrestricted free agent process, Semin is still looking for work.
Maybe teams are being scared off by his reputation. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford expressed an interest in Semin, but on a short-term basis because “we’ve all heard the stories about him.”
There’s also a report that Semin has a very desirable offer from a KHL club, so maybe he’s hoping that if he holds out long enough, an NHL team will offer him something in the same ballpark.
Whatever the case may be, Capitals GM George McPhee offered a leveled reply when asked if he was surprised by the fact that Semin is still an unrestricted free agent.
“Not necessarily,” McPhee said, according to CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley. “It would have to be the right fit for him.”
When asked about the possibility of Semin re-signing with Washington, McPhee was non-committal.
“I’ve never really discussed that sort of thing, whether we’re going to sign someone or not,” McPhee said. “I’d rather not start now. I know that’s not a great answer, but I’ll just stay neutral.”
McPhee should know better than most if the stories that Rutherford has heard about Semin are fair and accurate. Washington should also still have a top-six spot available for him.
Of course, those aren’t the only potential factors that go into signing a player. Semin might simply be seeking more than McPhee has an interest in offering.
One thing is a safe bet though: Whether it’s in the KHL or NHL, Semin will find an employer for the 2012-13 campaign.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 4
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54