Jul 6, 2012, 11:46 AM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes may have dropped out of the Rick Nash derby, but their search for a goal-scoring winger continues.
Oh, and Alexander Semin. Can’t forget about Mr. Enigmatic Russian.
Would Rutherford roll the dice on the 28-year-old UFA that fell out of favor in Washington?
“We would look at Semin on a short-term basis,” Rutherford said, as per the News & Observer. “We wouldn’t want to get locked in to anything, because we’ve all heard the stories about him. We do like his skill level. It could be that we could bring him in for a year, get to know him and go from there in terms of considering something longer term.”
Whether Semin would consider a deal like that (or if he’d want to deal with a GM that clearly questions his character) is the question. It may be he’ll have to wait until the futures of Nash, Doan and Ryan are decided before he gets anything but lowballs. And even then, it’s no guarantee he’ll get anything more than that.
Remember when Semin scored 40 goals?
Related: UFA spotlight — Alexander Semin
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 0
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 2
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)