Jul 6, 2012, 11:46 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes may have dropped out of the Rick Nash derby, but their search for a goal-scoring winger continues.
Oh, and Alexander Semin. Can’t forget about Mr. Enigmatic Russian.
Would Rutherford roll the dice on the 28-year-old UFA that fell out of favor in Washington?
“We would look at Semin on a short-term basis,” Rutherford said, as per the News & Observer. “We wouldn’t want to get locked in to anything, because we’ve all heard the stories about him. We do like his skill level. It could be that we could bring him in for a year, get to know him and go from there in terms of considering something longer term.”
Whether Semin would consider a deal like that (or if he’d want to deal with a GM that clearly questions his character) is the question. It may be he’ll have to wait until the futures of Nash, Doan and Ryan are decided before he gets anything but lowballs. And even then, it’s no guarantee he’ll get anything more than that.
Remember when Semin scored 40 goals?
Related: UFA spotlight — Alexander Semin
- Blackhawks beat Red Wings, lose Saad to injury 0
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 14
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 3
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 8
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 17
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 3
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)