Jul 6, 2012, 11:46 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes may have dropped out of the Rick Nash derby, but their search for a goal-scoring winger continues.
Oh, and Alexander Semin. Can’t forget about Mr. Enigmatic Russian.
Would Rutherford roll the dice on the 28-year-old UFA that fell out of favor in Washington?
“We would look at Semin on a short-term basis,” Rutherford said, as per the News & Observer. “We wouldn’t want to get locked in to anything, because we’ve all heard the stories about him. We do like his skill level. It could be that we could bring him in for a year, get to know him and go from there in terms of considering something longer term.”
Whether Semin would consider a deal like that (or if he’d want to deal with a GM that clearly questions his character) is the question. It may be he’ll have to wait until the futures of Nash, Doan and Ryan are decided before he gets anything but lowballs. And even then, it’s no guarantee he’ll get anything more than that.
Remember when Semin scored 40 goals?
Related: UFA spotlight — Alexander Semin
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'