Jul 9, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT
You could argue that Alexander Semin is the best free agent left on the market and probably be right. The lack of action the up-and-down Russian winger has seen, however, tells us something else is up. After all, a guy capable of 30-40 goals per season shouldn’t just sit around waiting for an offer in a thin free agent year.
Dmitry Chesnokov of Yahoo! Sports reports Semin doesn’t have a timetable set on when to sign a deal, regardless of who a contract offer comes from be it the KHL or the NHL. While he has offers from teams, Semin wouldn’t confirm who made them.
One team that may have made an offer is CSKA Moscow in the KHL. According to Slava Malamud of Sport-Express in Russia, Semin may have a three-year, $30 million offer from Sergei Fedorov’s team. It’s not confirmed if that offer is legitimate, however. While that’s bigger money than he would see in the NHL, contracts in Russia aren’t guaranteed.
While there are teams in the NHL that could use Semin’s offensive abilities, it seems his history of being difficult to handle on and off the ice is seemingly scaring teams off.
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 0
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)