Jul 9, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT
You could argue that Alexander Semin is the best free agent left on the market and probably be right. The lack of action the up-and-down Russian winger has seen, however, tells us something else is up. After all, a guy capable of 30-40 goals per season shouldn’t just sit around waiting for an offer in a thin free agent year.
Dmitry Chesnokov of Yahoo! Sports reports Semin doesn’t have a timetable set on when to sign a deal, regardless of who a contract offer comes from be it the KHL or the NHL. While he has offers from teams, Semin wouldn’t confirm who made them.
One team that may have made an offer is CSKA Moscow in the KHL. According to Slava Malamud of Sport-Express in Russia, Semin may have a three-year, $30 million offer from Sergei Fedorov’s team. It’s not confirmed if that offer is legitimate, however. While that’s bigger money than he would see in the NHL, contracts in Russia aren’t guaranteed.
While there are teams in the NHL that could use Semin’s offensive abilities, it seems his history of being difficult to handle on and off the ice is seemingly scaring teams off.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)