Jun 15, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
We now know what Steve Yzerman had planned for all his stockpiled draft picks.
The Tampa GM — who had five selections in the first 50 of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — has flipped a package of them to Nashville in exchange for backup netminder Anders Lindback.
To Tampa: Lindback, Kyle Wilson, 2012 7th round pick
To Nashville: Two 2012 2nd round picks, 2013 third round pick, Sebastien Caron
The move is Yzerman’s boldest in what’s been a lengthy goalie search. Lindback, 24, is one of the league’s prized backups, having served behind Vezina nominee Pekka Rinne for the last two seasons. At 6-foot-6, 205 pounds he’s a unique physical specimen and has posted solid-if-unspectacular numbers since breaking into the NHL in 2010: 16-13-2 record, .914 save percentage and a 2.53 GAA.
As for the ripple effect:
— Even though the Lightning now have Lindback and Riku Helenius in the fold, it’s unclear if Yzerman’s goalie search is over. Neither are very experienced.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)