Jun 15, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
We now know what Steve Yzerman had planned for all his stockpiled draft picks.
The Tampa GM — who had five selections in the first 50 of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — has flipped a package of them to Nashville in exchange for backup netminder Anders Lindback.
To Tampa: Lindback, Kyle Wilson, 2012 7th round pick
To Nashville: Two 2012 2nd round picks, 2013 third round pick, Sebastien Caron
The move is Yzerman’s boldest in what’s been a lengthy goalie search. Lindback, 24, is one of the league’s prized backups, having served behind Vezina nominee Pekka Rinne for the last two seasons. At 6-foot-6, 205 pounds he’s a unique physical specimen and has posted solid-if-unspectacular numbers since breaking into the NHL in 2010: 16-13-2 record, .914 save percentage and a 2.53 GAA.
As for the ripple effect:
– Even though the Lightning now have Lindback and Riku Helenius in the fold, it’s unclear if Yzerman’s goalie search is over. Neither are very experienced.
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 2
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 19
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)