Jun 15, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
We now know what Steve Yzerman had planned for all his stockpiled draft picks.
The Tampa GM — who had five selections in the first 50 of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — has flipped a package of them to Nashville in exchange for backup netminder Anders Lindback.
To Tampa: Lindback, Kyle Wilson, 2012 7th round pick
To Nashville: Two 2012 2nd round picks, 2013 third round pick, Sebastien Caron
The move is Yzerman’s boldest in what’s been a lengthy goalie search. Lindback, 24, is one of the league’s prized backups, having served behind Vezina nominee Pekka Rinne for the last two seasons. At 6-foot-6, 205 pounds he’s a unique physical specimen and has posted solid-if-unspectacular numbers since breaking into the NHL in 2010: 16-13-2 record, .914 save percentage and a 2.53 GAA.
As for the ripple effect:
– Even though the Lightning now have Lindback and Riku Helenius in the fold, it’s unclear if Yzerman’s goalie search is over. Neither are very experienced.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)