Jun 15, 2012, 4:29 PM EST
We now know what Steve Yzerman had planned for all his stockpiled draft picks.
The Tampa GM — who had five selections in the first 50 of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — has flipped a package of them to Nashville in exchange for backup netminder Anders Lindback.
To Tampa: Lindback, Kyle Wilson, 2012 7th round pick
To Nashville: Two 2012 2nd round picks, 2013 third round pick, Sebastien Caron
The move is Yzerman’s boldest in what’s been a lengthy goalie search. Lindback, 24, is one of the league’s prized backups, having served behind Vezina nominee Pekka Rinne for the last two seasons. At 6-foot-6, 205 pounds he’s a unique physical specimen and has posted solid-if-unspectacular numbers since breaking into the NHL in 2010: 16-13-2 record, .914 save percentage and a 2.53 GAA.
As for the ripple effect:
— Even though the Lightning now have Lindback and Riku Helenius in the fold, it’s unclear if Yzerman’s goalie search is over. Neither are very experienced.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 9
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)