Jun 15, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
We now know what Steve Yzerman had planned for all his stockpiled draft picks.
The Tampa GM — who had five selections in the first 50 of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — has flipped a package of them to Nashville in exchange for backup netminder Anders Lindback.
To Tampa: Lindback, Kyle Wilson, 2012 7th round pick
To Nashville: Two 2012 2nd round picks, 2013 third round pick, Sebastien Caron
The move is Yzerman’s boldest in what’s been a lengthy goalie search. Lindback, 24, is one of the league’s prized backups, having served behind Vezina nominee Pekka Rinne for the last two seasons. At 6-foot-6, 205 pounds he’s a unique physical specimen and has posted solid-if-unspectacular numbers since breaking into the NHL in 2010: 16-13-2 record, .914 save percentage and a 2.53 GAA.
As for the ripple effect:
— Even though the Lightning now have Lindback and Riku Helenius in the fold, it’s unclear if Yzerman’s goalie search is over. Neither are very experienced.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (83)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)