May 24, 2012, 2:11 PM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman appeared on 620 WDAE “The Sports Animal” this morning to discuss his offseason scouting and the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.
Also, Tampa Bay’s troublesome goaltending situation.
With Dwayne Roloson and Sebastien Caron set to become UFAs on July 1 and Mathieu Garon‘s deal expiring next season, Yzerman told the station that one of his main priorities is finding a goalie for his club — but it might not be via trade as many have speculated.
Also, he might not be in a rush to make a splash.
Q: What is your theory about going out and getting a goalie? Are you looking at older veterans like Roloson, or do you think you have to go another way and get a really big-name, elite, top franchise goaltender like a Roberto Luongo or someone like that?
Yzerman: I think everybody’s trying to find somebody that’s an elite guy — I would say there’s probably five or six elite goaltenders in the league and then there’s a group of good goaltenders, and then there’s a group of teams searching for that guy to lock up and not worry about for the present and the future.
My philosophy is I’m trying to find that Hall of Fame goaltender. But good luck trying to do that, it takes time. We’ll find that guy through the draft or unrestricted free agency — that guy isn’t there at this time.
Keep in mind this could be posturing from the Tampa GM, as there’s no advantage to be gained by publicly stating his desire to get a player (he’d all but kiss his negotiating leverage goodbye.)
Yzerman’s ideal goalie is a younger, more long-term investment than the 33-year-old Luongo…but getting one might not be a realistic expectation.
“Obviously I’d love to have a 20-year-old [version] of Martin Brodeur and not worry about goaltending for the next 20 years,” Yzerman said. “But that’s hard to do.”
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)