May 24, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman appeared on 620 WDAE “The Sports Animal” this morning to discuss his offseason scouting and the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.
Also, Tampa Bay’s troublesome goaltending situation.
With Dwayne Roloson and Sebastien Caron set to become UFAs on July 1 and Mathieu Garon‘s deal expiring next season, Yzerman told the station that one of his main priorities is finding a goalie for his club — but it might not be via trade as many have speculated.
Also, he might not be in a rush to make a splash.
Q: What is your theory about going out and getting a goalie? Are you looking at older veterans like Roloson, or do you think you have to go another way and get a really big-name, elite, top franchise goaltender like a Roberto Luongo or someone like that?
Yzerman: I think everybody’s trying to find somebody that’s an elite guy — I would say there’s probably five or six elite goaltenders in the league and then there’s a group of good goaltenders, and then there’s a group of teams searching for that guy to lock up and not worry about for the present and the future.
My philosophy is I’m trying to find that Hall of Fame goaltender. But good luck trying to do that, it takes time. We’ll find that guy through the draft or unrestricted free agency — that guy isn’t there at this time.
Keep in mind this could be posturing from the Tampa GM, as there’s no advantage to be gained by publicly stating his desire to get a player (he’d all but kiss his negotiating leverage goodbye.)
Yzerman’s ideal goalie is a younger, more long-term investment than the 33-year-old Luongo…but getting one might not be a realistic expectation.
“Obviously I’d love to have a 20-year-old [version] of Martin Brodeur and not worry about goaltending for the next 20 years,” Yzerman said. “But that’s hard to do.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 5
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 8
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 49
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (49)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)