Jun 13, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
While the Tampa Bay Lightning’s defense needs some serious help in its own right, Dwayne Roloson‘s 2011-12 implosion showed how glaring the Bolts’ hole is in net.* GM Steve Yzerman doesn’t exactly seem enthralled by the free agent market, either … at least in North America. Renaud Lavoie reports that the team signed Riku Helenius to a two-year deal today.
Lavoie reports that the two-year deal begins as a two-way contract in 2012-13 and then becomes a one-way one in 2013-14. He’ll register a $600K cap hit when he’s at the NHL level, with a $550K salary in 12-13 and $650K in 13-14.
This isn’t the first time the Lightning franchise and Helenius have been connected. They selected him with the 15th pick of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, so it’s likely he’s been on the Bolts’ radar for some time. Judging by the one-way nature of the second season, it’s obvious that the Lightning plan for him to at least be a backup within the life of the contract.
Yzerman might have even bigger hopes, though.
* – Seeing Mike Smith enjoy a borderline-Vezina campaign with Phoenix reinforced both ideas, by the way.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)