Jun 11, 2012, 2:48 PM EST
Expect to hear Luke Schenn’s name a lot leading up to the draft. The 22-year-old defenseman is coming off a tough season with the Maple Leafs and there are those who believe he could use a fresh start somewhere else to regain his confidence.
Schenn’s name came up repeatedly prior to the trade deadline, often in connection with Philadelphia’s James van Riemsdyk.
More recently, there’s been chatter he could end up in Edmonton (as part of a trade for the Oilers’ first overall pick) or even Vancouver (with Roberto Luongo heading the other way).
Schenn is an interesting case. The fifth overall pick in the 2008 draft was impressive as a 19-year-old rookie, but he struggled as a sophomore. He bounced back his third season, then fell back again in his fourth.
Perhaps Schenn continues the pattern and has a solid fifth season in Toronto. However, for now, the Leafs’ top four consists of Dion Phaneuf, Carl Gunnarson, Jake Gardiner and John-Michael Liles. Then there’s Cody Franson and Mike Komisarek, plus a few Marlies that could make the jump soon.
Schenn has four years left on a contract with a cap hit of $3.6 million. He’s not a particularly great skater, and he could definitely cut down on the glaring giveaways. However, he’s still young, and for a team looking for some toughness on the back end, he could be a fit.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 0
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 12
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)