Jun 1, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis swears he hasn’t reached out to any NHL teams about trading Roberto Luongo. And to those teams that have reached out to him, he’s told them it was too early to talk.
“I haven’t contacted anyone with respect to Roberto at all,” Gillis told The Province Thursday. “I’ve had people call me and ask about him and I’ve told them that we haven’t made any decisions at all about the future of our goaltending. And that’s absolutely the truth.
“We’re going to have our pro scouts in over the next seven to 10 days, have our meetings and then we’ll come out of that with a firm plan on how to move ahead.”
Yesterday, a rumor surfaced that a deal sending Luongo to the Maple Leafs was all but official. (In return for Luke Schenn and Toronto’s fifth overall pick, if you’re wondering.)
According to Gillis, however, the only thing Luongo’s told the Canucks is that he’d consider accepting a trade.
“But I’d like to get his feelings now that he’s had a little time to think it over,” said Gillis.
“There’s no rush here. There’s no need to get into anything too quickly because that’s when you’re likely to make a mistake.”
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)