Jun 1, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis swears he hasn’t reached out to any NHL teams about trading Roberto Luongo. And to those teams that have reached out to him, he’s told them it was too early to talk.
“I haven’t contacted anyone with respect to Roberto at all,” Gillis told The Province Thursday. “I’ve had people call me and ask about him and I’ve told them that we haven’t made any decisions at all about the future of our goaltending. And that’s absolutely the truth.
“We’re going to have our pro scouts in over the next seven to 10 days, have our meetings and then we’ll come out of that with a firm plan on how to move ahead.”
Yesterday, a rumor surfaced that a deal sending Luongo to the Maple Leafs was all but official. (In return for Luke Schenn and Toronto’s fifth overall pick, if you’re wondering.)
According to Gillis, however, the only thing Luongo’s told the Canucks is that he’d consider accepting a trade.
“But I’d like to get his feelings now that he’s had a little time to think it over,” said Gillis.
“There’s no rush here. There’s no need to get into anything too quickly because that’s when you’re likely to make a mistake.”
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)