Jun 1, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis swears he hasn’t reached out to any NHL teams about trading Roberto Luongo. And to those teams that have reached out to him, he’s told them it was too early to talk.
“I haven’t contacted anyone with respect to Roberto at all,” Gillis told The Province Thursday. “I’ve had people call me and ask about him and I’ve told them that we haven’t made any decisions at all about the future of our goaltending. And that’s absolutely the truth.
“We’re going to have our pro scouts in over the next seven to 10 days, have our meetings and then we’ll come out of that with a firm plan on how to move ahead.”
Yesterday, a rumor surfaced that a deal sending Luongo to the Maple Leafs was all but official. (In return for Luke Schenn and Toronto’s fifth overall pick, if you’re wondering.)
According to Gillis, however, the only thing Luongo’s told the Canucks is that he’d consider accepting a trade.
“But I’d like to get his feelings now that he’s had a little time to think it over,” said Gillis.
“There’s no rush here. There’s no need to get into anything too quickly because that’s when you’re likely to make a mistake.”
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 16
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 44
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control