Jun 5, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT
It seemed that Alexander Radulov‘s days with the Nashville Predators were numbered from the moment that Barry Trotz decided him to suspend him during the playoffs, but now it’s almost official. Reports of intense interest from the KHL and even the New York Rangers have already surfaced, but now Predators GM David Poile even told the Tennessean that the team will either trade his rights to another team or let him return to the KHL.
“The best way to characterize it is it’s time to not pursue Rad anymore,” Poile said. “If he wants to play in the KHL that’s fine, if he wants to play with another NHL team I’d be willing to trade his rights.”
When asked if it would be safe to say that Radulov won’t be with the Predators next season, Poile said: “I would say right now that would be safe to say.”
As messy as the two-game suspensions for Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn were, it’s hard not to get the “afterall that?” feeling from this situation. The Predators waited years to get the rising young forward back to the NHL and then he ultimately played just 17 games (nine regular season, eight in the playoffs) for the Preds.
In that time he was quite productive, yet that curfew snafu clearly soured Trotz & Co. on the pending restricted free agent.
It’s likely that a KHL team could make Radulov quite happy, but considering the brief tease in the NHL, it only heightens the curiosity regarding what kind of career he could generate in North America. It’ll be interesting to see if that ends up happening after all, yet one thing seems clear: you can mark “return to the Predators” off the list of possibilities.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)