Jun 3, 2012, 12:41 PM EDT
The Rangers had enough offensive worries last season with a healthy Marian Gaborik. Now that they’re looking at Gaborik missing the opening of next season after shoulder surgery, GM Glen Sather is on the hunt for scoring help.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports Sather is in touch with Predators GM David Poile about working out a deal for free agent-to-be Alexander Radulov. Brooks says Sather isn’t just casually calling to find out if he’s available either.
The degree to which these discussions between Sather and Poile have advanced is unknown, but The Post has learned this is more than the GM “kicking the tires.” The Blueshirts, of course, would have to be given a window in which to conduct contract negotiations with Radulov before agreeing to trade for his rights.
Brooks says Radulov has a big offer from CSKA in the KHL to return to Russia which would be a huge stumbling block. Still, the Rangers’ need for more offense and Gaborik’s injury have put them in a tough position heading into next season. While Rick Nash will be out there to be had via trade, the cost in players and prospects may still be too high to pull that off.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)