Jun 3, 2012, 12:41 PM EST
The Rangers had enough offensive worries last season with a healthy Marian Gaborik. Now that they’re looking at Gaborik missing the opening of next season after shoulder surgery, GM Glen Sather is on the hunt for scoring help.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports Sather is in touch with Predators GM David Poile about working out a deal for free agent-to-be Alexander Radulov. Brooks says Sather isn’t just casually calling to find out if he’s available either.
The degree to which these discussions between Sather and Poile have advanced is unknown, but The Post has learned this is more than the GM “kicking the tires.” The Blueshirts, of course, would have to be given a window in which to conduct contract negotiations with Radulov before agreeing to trade for his rights.
Brooks says Radulov has a big offer from CSKA in the KHL to return to Russia which would be a huge stumbling block. Still, the Rangers’ need for more offense and Gaborik’s injury have put them in a tough position heading into next season. While Rick Nash will be out there to be had via trade, the cost in players and prospects may still be too high to pull that off.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 58
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (79)