Jun 3, 2012, 12:41 PM EDT
The Rangers had enough offensive worries last season with a healthy Marian Gaborik. Now that they’re looking at Gaborik missing the opening of next season after shoulder surgery, GM Glen Sather is on the hunt for scoring help.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports Sather is in touch with Predators GM David Poile about working out a deal for free agent-to-be Alexander Radulov. Brooks says Sather isn’t just casually calling to find out if he’s available either.
The degree to which these discussions between Sather and Poile have advanced is unknown, but The Post has learned this is more than the GM “kicking the tires.” The Blueshirts, of course, would have to be given a window in which to conduct contract negotiations with Radulov before agreeing to trade for his rights.
Brooks says Radulov has a big offer from CSKA in the KHL to return to Russia which would be a huge stumbling block. Still, the Rangers’ need for more offense and Gaborik’s injury have put them in a tough position heading into next season. While Rick Nash will be out there to be had via trade, the cost in players and prospects may still be too high to pull that off.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)