May 29, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT
Perhaps the biggest thing the Toronto Maple Leafs have to do this summer is land a goalie. After seeing James Reimer and Jonas Gustavsson struggle last season, goaltending helped keep the Leafs out of the playoffs once again and GM Brian Burke knows it.
While Roberto Luongo is looking for a way out of Vancouver, it would seem logical Burke would be looking for a way to bring him aboard to solve their problems. Burke tells Louis-Andre Lariviere of Sun Media things aren’t as obvious as they’d appear to be.
Burke also addressed talk that the Leafs might be interested in trading for Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo, saying he wanted to calm the speculation.
“There has not been significant discussion (with the Canucks) about that player,” Burke said.
Well not yet at least, right Burkie?
It’s been mentioned before the Leafs are looking to keep Reimer in the fold and still like his game. The Leafs have also been rumored to be interested in Tomas Vokoun. With Luongo being 33-years-old and seeming to struggle under the microscope in Vancouver, bringing him to Toronto seems to be like a really great idea.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)