May 29, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT
Perhaps the biggest thing the Toronto Maple Leafs have to do this summer is land a goalie. After seeing James Reimer and Jonas Gustavsson struggle last season, goaltending helped keep the Leafs out of the playoffs once again and GM Brian Burke knows it.
While Roberto Luongo is looking for a way out of Vancouver, it would seem logical Burke would be looking for a way to bring him aboard to solve their problems. Burke tells Louis-Andre Lariviere of Sun Media things aren’t as obvious as they’d appear to be.
Burke also addressed talk that the Leafs might be interested in trading for Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo, saying he wanted to calm the speculation.
“There has not been significant discussion (with the Canucks) about that player,” Burke said.
Well not yet at least, right Burkie?
It’s been mentioned before the Leafs are looking to keep Reimer in the fold and still like his game. The Leafs have also been rumored to be interested in Tomas Vokoun. With Luongo being 33-years-old and seeming to struggle under the microscope in Vancouver, bringing him to Toronto seems to be like a really great idea.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 0
- Avs’ Parenteau (knee) likely out for remainder of regular season, playoffs unclear 0
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 14
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 17
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)