May 29, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT
Perhaps the biggest thing the Toronto Maple Leafs have to do this summer is land a goalie. After seeing James Reimer and Jonas Gustavsson struggle last season, goaltending helped keep the Leafs out of the playoffs once again and GM Brian Burke knows it.
While Roberto Luongo is looking for a way out of Vancouver, it would seem logical Burke would be looking for a way to bring him aboard to solve their problems. Burke tells Louis-Andre Lariviere of Sun Media things aren’t as obvious as they’d appear to be.
Burke also addressed talk that the Leafs might be interested in trading for Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo, saying he wanted to calm the speculation.
“There has not been significant discussion (with the Canucks) about that player,” Burke said.
Well not yet at least, right Burkie?
It’s been mentioned before the Leafs are looking to keep Reimer in the fold and still like his game. The Leafs have also been rumored to be interested in Tomas Vokoun. With Luongo being 33-years-old and seeming to struggle under the microscope in Vancouver, bringing him to Toronto seems to be like a really great idea.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)