May 27, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
Goaltending was a major issue for the Toronto Maple Leafs last season. It’s a brutally obvious statement, but one that tells you what the team needs to address in the offseason. While rumors circle about their possible interest in Roberto Luongo, there’s another veteran goalie they’ll be sniffing around.
Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun says the Leafs will be scoping out Tomas Vokoun in free agency this summer. Vokoun ran into injury troubles at the end of the season and saw his job taken away by Braden Holtby. Simmons says the Leafs still like incumbent starter James Reimer which means Luongo may not be the guy they’re aiming for.
Vokoun played well for Washington but not as awe-inspiring as he had in the past for Florida. With Vokoun only signing a one-year deal last summer with the Caps, he’ll be free to go where he wants again this offseason. There were rumors he was thinking of going to the KHL, but Vokoun says he’s focused on an NHL job.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)