May 27, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
Goaltending was a major issue for the Toronto Maple Leafs last season. It’s a brutally obvious statement, but one that tells you what the team needs to address in the offseason. While rumors circle about their possible interest in Roberto Luongo, there’s another veteran goalie they’ll be sniffing around.
Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun says the Leafs will be scoping out Tomas Vokoun in free agency this summer. Vokoun ran into injury troubles at the end of the season and saw his job taken away by Braden Holtby. Simmons says the Leafs still like incumbent starter James Reimer which means Luongo may not be the guy they’re aiming for.
Vokoun played well for Washington but not as awe-inspiring as he had in the past for Florida. With Vokoun only signing a one-year deal last summer with the Caps, he’ll be free to go where he wants again this offseason. There were rumors he was thinking of going to the KHL, but Vokoun says he’s focused on an NHL job.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)