May 27, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
Goaltending was a major issue for the Toronto Maple Leafs last season. It’s a brutally obvious statement, but one that tells you what the team needs to address in the offseason. While rumors circle about their possible interest in Roberto Luongo, there’s another veteran goalie they’ll be sniffing around.
Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun says the Leafs will be scoping out Tomas Vokoun in free agency this summer. Vokoun ran into injury troubles at the end of the season and saw his job taken away by Braden Holtby. Simmons says the Leafs still like incumbent starter James Reimer which means Luongo may not be the guy they’re aiming for.
Vokoun played well for Washington but not as awe-inspiring as he had in the past for Florida. With Vokoun only signing a one-year deal last summer with the Caps, he’ll be free to go where he wants again this offseason. There were rumors he was thinking of going to the KHL, but Vokoun says he’s focused on an NHL job.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)