May 27, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
Goaltending was a major issue for the Toronto Maple Leafs last season. It’s a brutally obvious statement, but one that tells you what the team needs to address in the offseason. While rumors circle about their possible interest in Roberto Luongo, there’s another veteran goalie they’ll be sniffing around.
Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun says the Leafs will be scoping out Tomas Vokoun in free agency this summer. Vokoun ran into injury troubles at the end of the season and saw his job taken away by Braden Holtby. Simmons says the Leafs still like incumbent starter James Reimer which means Luongo may not be the guy they’re aiming for.
Vokoun played well for Washington but not as awe-inspiring as he had in the past for Florida. With Vokoun only signing a one-year deal last summer with the Caps, he’ll be free to go where he wants again this offseason. There were rumors he was thinking of going to the KHL, but Vokoun says he’s focused on an NHL job.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)