May 27, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
Goaltending was a major issue for the Toronto Maple Leafs last season. It’s a brutally obvious statement, but one that tells you what the team needs to address in the offseason. While rumors circle about their possible interest in Roberto Luongo, there’s another veteran goalie they’ll be sniffing around.
Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun says the Leafs will be scoping out Tomas Vokoun in free agency this summer. Vokoun ran into injury troubles at the end of the season and saw his job taken away by Braden Holtby. Simmons says the Leafs still like incumbent starter James Reimer which means Luongo may not be the guy they’re aiming for.
Vokoun played well for Washington but not as awe-inspiring as he had in the past for Florida. With Vokoun only signing a one-year deal last summer with the Caps, he’ll be free to go where he wants again this offseason. There were rumors he was thinking of going to the KHL, but Vokoun says he’s focused on an NHL job.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (37)