May 24, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
Apologies for all the Canucks news today, but we can’t skip this story:
“This is what [Luongo] wants now,” he said. “And what we must do is (make the best decision) for our organization.”
Assuming nothing was lost in translation, we can officially start speculating where Luongo will end up.
We probably shouldn’t count Tampa Bay out, despite what Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said this morning.
But if we absolutely had to pick a favorite right now…
Yes, the Maple Leafs would be taking a risk given Luongo’s substantial contract and the perception among some (not everyone) that his best days are behind him.
However, offset the risk for general manager Brian Burke of missing the playoffs for the fifth straight time on his watch with the risk of acquiring a goalie that’s been consistently among the best in the NHL, and, well, what would you do if you were Burke? You’d at least have to consider it, no?
When a GM knows his job is on the line (and it is for Burke), he’s far more likely to roll the dice. Case in point, Dean Lombardi. The Kings’ GM knew he was in trouble if his team didn’t make the playoffs, so he went out and got Jeff Carter, a guy that was deemed untradable by many. (I still remember you, yettyskills.)
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)