May 24, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
Apologies for all the Canucks news today, but we can’t skip this story:
“This is what [Luongo] wants now,” he said. “And what we must do is (make the best decision) for our organization.”
Assuming nothing was lost in translation, we can officially start speculating where Luongo will end up.
We probably shouldn’t count Tampa Bay out, despite what Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said this morning.
But if we absolutely had to pick a favorite right now…
Yes, the Maple Leafs would be taking a risk given Luongo’s substantial contract and the perception among some (not everyone) that his best days are behind him.
However, offset the risk for general manager Brian Burke of missing the playoffs for the fifth straight time on his watch with the risk of acquiring a goalie that’s been consistently among the best in the NHL, and, well, what would you do if you were Burke? You’d at least have to consider it, no?
When a GM knows his job is on the line (and it is for Burke), he’s far more likely to roll the dice. Case in point, Dean Lombardi. The Kings’ GM knew he was in trouble if his team didn’t make the playoffs, so he went out and got Jeff Carter, a guy that was deemed untradable by many. (I still remember you, yettyskills.)
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)