May 24, 2012, 4:11 PM EST
Apologies for all the Canucks news today, but we can’t skip this story:
“This is what [Luongo] wants now,” he said. “And what we must do is (make the best decision) for our organization.”
Assuming nothing was lost in translation, we can officially start speculating where Luongo will end up.
We probably shouldn’t count Tampa Bay out, despite what Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said this morning.
But if we absolutely had to pick a favorite right now…
Yes, the Maple Leafs would be taking a risk given Luongo’s substantial contract and the perception among some (not everyone) that his best days are behind him.
However, offset the risk for general manager Brian Burke of missing the playoffs for the fifth straight time on his watch with the risk of acquiring a goalie that’s been consistently among the best in the NHL, and, well, what would you do if you were Burke? You’d at least have to consider it, no?
When a GM knows his job is on the line (and it is for Burke), he’s far more likely to roll the dice. Case in point, Dean Lombardi. The Kings’ GM knew he was in trouble if his team didn’t make the playoffs, so he went out and got Jeff Carter, a guy that was deemed untradable by many. (I still remember you, yettyskills.)
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 19
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 6
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 15
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 11
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4