May 24, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
Apologies for all the Canucks news today, but we can’t skip this story:
“This is what [Luongo] wants now,” he said. “And what we must do is (make the best decision) for our organization.”
Assuming nothing was lost in translation, we can officially start speculating where Luongo will end up.
We probably shouldn’t count Tampa Bay out, despite what Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said this morning.
But if we absolutely had to pick a favorite right now…
Yes, the Maple Leafs would be taking a risk given Luongo’s substantial contract and the perception among some (not everyone) that his best days are behind him.
However, offset the risk for general manager Brian Burke of missing the playoffs for the fifth straight time on his watch with the risk of acquiring a goalie that’s been consistently among the best in the NHL, and, well, what would you do if you were Burke? You’d at least have to consider it, no?
When a GM knows his job is on the line (and it is for Burke), he’s far more likely to roll the dice. Case in point, Dean Lombardi. The Kings’ GM knew he was in trouble if his team didn’t make the playoffs, so he went out and got Jeff Carter, a guy that was deemed untradable by many. (I still remember you, yettyskills.)
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)