May 27, 2012, 7:21 PM EDT
Most of the early scouting lists had QMJHL star Mikhail Grigorenko penciled in as the No. 2 prospect behind Nail Yakupov, but after the final couple months of his season Grigorenko started dropping like a rock. A mix of poor health, KHL worries, and erratic play seemed to be the reasons for his tumble. Even former Flames GM and Craig Button ranked Grigorenko 20th on his list for TSN.
Grigorenko knows his stock has fallen for one reason or another and he tells Arpon Basu of NHL.com he looks forward to proving everyone wrong once he reaches the NHL.
“I was waiting for this,” Grigorenko, 18, said after being named the Canadian Hockey League’s BMO Rookie of the Year. “Before the (final) ratings I understood where I would be because during the season I had good games and I was first or second, but after I had a bad playoffs and I went down.”
If you’re looking for a potential player to compare to Grigorenko should he fall in the first round, look no further than Devils captain Zach Parise who fell to the Devils at 17th overall. Parise was believed to be a top five talent but fell thanks to different concerns. That’s putting the cart way before the horse, but let’s just throw that out there on the chance Grigorenko turns out to be huge.
If teams at the top pass on Grigorenko, they’d best be sure they know what they’re getting when they pick as Grigorenko could be in the NHL as soon as next season if his talent is true.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)