May 16, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT
According to this National Post article, it should be extremely interesting to see where Russian prospect Mikhail Grigorenko goes in this summer’s draft.
Once in the discussion for first overall pick, Grigorenko has fallen in most draft rankings, and plummeted in others.
The negative opinion seems to stem from Grigorenko’s recent performance in the Quebec league playoffs, where the Remparts blew a 3-0 series lead to the Halifax Mooseheads in the second round. Grigorenko finished the post-season with three goals and 10 points in 11 games, but some expressed disappointment in his effort level. He had a goal and an assist and was minus-5 in the final four games of the series.
There’s also concern Grigorenko could thumb his nose at the NHL and return to Russia to play in the KHL.
Of course, players have slipped in the rankings before and turned out just fine. Last year, Sean Couturier fell to sixth. In 2010, Cam Fowler dropped to No. 12. Safe to say the Flyers and Ducks were glad they did.
Perhaps an unsuspecting team will luck into Grigorenko.
Unless he’s a bust, in which case he’s been drafted by Minnesota.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)