May 16, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT
According to this National Post article, it should be extremely interesting to see where Russian prospect Mikhail Grigorenko goes in this summer’s draft.
Once in the discussion for first overall pick, Grigorenko has fallen in most draft rankings, and plummeted in others.
The negative opinion seems to stem from Grigorenko’s recent performance in the Quebec league playoffs, where the Remparts blew a 3-0 series lead to the Halifax Mooseheads in the second round. Grigorenko finished the post-season with three goals and 10 points in 11 games, but some expressed disappointment in his effort level. He had a goal and an assist and was minus-5 in the final four games of the series.
There’s also concern Grigorenko could thumb his nose at the NHL and return to Russia to play in the KHL.
Of course, players have slipped in the rankings before and turned out just fine. Last year, Sean Couturier fell to sixth. In 2010, Cam Fowler dropped to No. 12. Safe to say the Flyers and Ducks were glad they did.
Perhaps an unsuspecting team will luck into Grigorenko.
Unless he’s a bust, in which case he’s been drafted by Minnesota.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal