May 13, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
While the Edmonton Oilers (or perhaps a lucky trading partner) ended up winning the “Fail for Nail” sweepstakes, some believe that it’s not much worse to “Fail for Mikhail” instead. Mikhail Grigorenko is known as one of the other hot Russian forward prospects going into the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, but a new development might make his stock drop considerably.
Slava Malamud presented a round of interesting KHL-related bits about how the league will try to lure “returning Russian NHL players,” yet he might not stop there. Malamud reports that CSKA might make a “big play” to sign Grigorenko, which makes sense since they selected him with the eighth pick of the KHL’s junior 2011 draft.
Malamud believes that this development could “plunge his draft stock” and with good reason. The NHL’s rookie minimum contract has been great for teams to limit costs and risks, but it opens up the chance for clubs like CSKA to pay high-profile prospects (particularly Russian ones) more than they’d make on entry-level deals. While Alex Radulov‘s situation was unusual for loophole reasons, it’s a cautionary tale for teams pondering the already-risky proposition of investing millions in a player who won’t turn 18 until May 16.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)